Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlock Code for radio swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Unlock Code for radio swap

Happy Tuesday folks!

Purchased an OEM Sirius radio for my 2011 STX (thanks again Embalmer!!). Before I perform the swap, I called my local dealer and asked them what info they needed from the radio to generate the unlock code. I believe they need the serial number and VIN.

"Those radios don't need a code; should be plug and play except you'll need a Sirius antenna."

All of my research indicates that I'll need a code. Is he correct or am I? Is there some special "keyword" I need to use when calling to let the dealer know what I need?

Thanks for any info you can share. I needz my Boneyard
Old 08-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

I know of no code. It should be PNP with a Sirius antenna. I don't think you even need to change any APIM settings.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 AM

hmm . . . okay. I thought you needed a code based on my Google-fu. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

This is what seems logical to me. If you want Sirius to activate a subsription for the new radio in your truck they will need either a code, vin from the truck it came out of, serial # or some other way to identify which radio they are activating the subscription to. if you don't want sirius activated you won't need to do anything other than install it. I would recommend calling sirius and asking what they need rather than asking ford. JMO

Last edited by oldguy1946; 08-09-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by oldguy1946
This is what seems logical to me. If you want Sirius to activate a subsription for the new radio in your truck they will need either a code, vin from the truck it came out of, serial # or some other way to identify which radio they are activating the subscription to. if you don't want sirius activated you won't need to do anything other than install it. I would recommend calling sirius and asking what they need rather than asking ford. JMO
right. Typically, you can get the code from the radio's display on a Sirius aftermarket unit but not sure about an OEM. I have written down the model and serial numbers just in case.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by electricblue
right. Typically, you can get the code from the radio's display on a Sirius aftermarket unit but not sure about an OEM. I have written down the model and serial numbers just in case.
With the radio installed and a Sirius antenna hooked up you should be able to push the Sirius button and get a preview channel and then be able to change it to channel 0 which will have the radio ID.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my OEM stereo in my 11 with another OEM (before eventually going aftermarket). It was simple plug and play. Get the Sirius unit ID from channel 0 and contact them. When they tell you there's a $15 fee to transfer to the new unit, just tell them you rather cancel service. They will "talk to the supervisor" and then waive the fee. You can do the Sirius radio swap in your account, but then you have to pay the fee.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 PM

Thanks folks; appreciate the responses.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 AM

UPDATE: It was indeed a straight swap. After swapping out the radio, I turned it on, pressed the Sirius button then the #1 button to get the serial number. I then contacted Sirius online and within 10 minutes had a new subscription.

Nice when things work out. . . . now if only I could find that damn 7mm socket that dropped down behind the radio
Old 01-27-2022, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the car radio code software. They can help you for sure!

Quick Reply: Unlock Code for radio swap