Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo whistle and wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo whistle and wind noise

Hi everyone. New to the F-150, but loving it. Came up from a Tacoma. Have a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost and I can hear the turbos and extra wind noise from the passenger side only. I wouldn’t be worried about turbo noise except that the wind noise is kinda annoying, and I can smell exhaust almost constantly. It’s sometimes worse at a standstill. Any ideas as to what’s leaking?
Old 12-16-2021, 11:58 PM
FJB

Received 813 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by merv101
Hi everyone. New to the F-150, but loving it. Came up from a Tacoma. Have a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost and I can hear the turbos and extra wind noise from the passenger side only. I wouldn’t be worried about turbo noise except that the wind noise is kinda annoying, and I can smell exhaust almost constantly. It’s sometimes worse at a standstill. Any ideas as to what’s leaking?

If you're smelling exhaust you may have an exhaust leak somewhere in that area. I would check the firewall to be sure any and all plugs are in place and wherever any lines or wiring travel through be sure the rubber plugs are in tact there too.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHIFT_Lock
If you're smelling exhaust you may have an exhaust leak somewhere in that area. I would check the firewall to be sure any and all plugs are in place and wherever any lines or wiring travel through be sure the rubber plugs are in tact there too.
I’m certain I have an exhaust leak. There’s a resonator (or something like that under the front passenger side seat) that I’ve seen spray water. I guess it’s time to get out the inspection mirror and start digging. Any ideas/likely culprits you’d expect could let in outside air like that?
Old 12-20-2021, 03:30 PM
FJB

Received 813 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by merv101
I’m certain I have an exhaust leak. There’s a resonator (or something like that under the front passenger side seat) that I’ve seen spray water. I guess it’s time to get out the inspection mirror and start digging. Any ideas/likely culprits you’d expect could let in outside air like that?

Check any and all wiring looms ect. that go through the firewall and make sure they're sealed up still and that there are no plugs missing. That would be my first guess. Maybe the previous owner had a sound system or auxiliary lighting that he ran through the firewall and pulled it out in a hurry and didn't seal them back up.

Quick Reply: Turbo whistle and wind noise