Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with different strategy code?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tuning with different strategy code?

Not sure why I'm just starting to see a lot of talk about strategy codes but I bought a used tuner (SCT 3015 for a 5.0) from a member on this site and I didn't realize I was supposed to check this. I already tuned my truck and everything seems to be fine. Would I have not been able to tune my truck at all if it had a different code or does it just mean that the tune may not be as effective or efficient otherwise? I have no idea what his code was btw. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

You can't use somebody else's custom tune as they are PCM code specific, it will give you an error if you tried. You can use a preloaded tune which is different, written by the manufacturer for just about all PCM codes there is which is probably what you did when you tuned your truck.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Franchi Motorsports
You can't use somebody else's custom tune as they are PCM code specific, it will give you an error if you tried. You can use a preloaded tune which is different, written by the manufacturer for just about all PCM codes there is which is probably what you did when you tuned your truck.
I absolutely tuned it using one of the custom tunes. It came with 5 tunes from 5 star and I'm running the 87 performance.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

Yes, some strategy codes can be used in place of others. It has been done for years by tuners in the know.

The last digit of the strategy code in my present tune is different than my stock strategy code. My stock strategy code had issues adjusting the rev limiter and WOT shift points. SCT even had trouble trying to make it work.

I got a tune from a different tuner and noticed the strategy code was off when I was data logging. I called and they said that they use certain strategy codes on certain models and years because they know all parameters will work properly.

This was also done on my Lightning several years ago. You can run a 2001 tune on a 2000 Lightning.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

As long as it was a strategy compatible with the ECU/TCU used there will be no issues, and most modern ford computers can be flashed with any of them as long as they are in the same family of vehicle and generation. (hard to make a f150 think its a fiesta st)

As in LTN's situation some strategies did not have adjustment for certain parameters or didn't have enough adjustment so a different revision (strategy) was needed

Last edited by Robob; 07-16-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by musekmkr
I absolutely tuned it using one of the custom tunes. It came with 5 tunes from 5 star and I'm running the 87 performance.
How you do like that tune compared to the stock tune? Been thinking I need to get a 5 star tune for my 2014 xlt 4x4 screw
Old 07-16-2014, 06:20 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

PCM codes can be updated from one to a newer version by ford which is why you can have a different code sometimes from when a vehicle was originally manufactured to present. That's also why most place will have you pull the PCM off the computer itself and not just the white sticker code by the fuse box.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by needparts
How you do like that tune compared to the stock tune? Been thinking I need to get a 5 star tune for my 2014 xlt 4x4 screw
It absolutely makes a big difference and if anything it may be getting more mpgs, def not less. Off the line is much snappier and shifts are more firm and rev longer. I'm happy with it but just be sure you can use the custom tunes if u buy used otherwise you might as well just buy new and get a custom set of tunes that you know are intended for your truck...it'll be cheaper that way . Probably what I should have done...

Quick Reply: Tuning with different strategy code?