Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck value question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Truck value question?

2012 xlt 26kmiles no damage to interior/exterior
has been serviced @ ford with all required intervals filters/oil/air cleaner/tire rotation/brake insp. etc etc etc

Truck is washed and waxed @ least every 2 weeks ( looks great )

Nothing wrong @ all

except its a 2 year old truck

MSRP was 38k paid 29k including TTL

I took it in to trade or lease a 2014

1) Ford dealership offers 20k

2) Auto nation 23k

3) Ford dealership # 2 offers 21.5k & matches AutoNation after I said there offer sucked and I would take the AutoNation over there's and come back and pay cash.

4) KBB which I have been told estimates on the high end shows the truck(at the highest level of residual worth) to only be worth 25.5k

So In only 2 years if you went by the MSRP of 38.5k it has lost 15.5K in 2 years?

That kinda sucks
Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

That's not really surprising. As soon as you drive it off of the lot you could probably take 5k off, then so much per year/month. KBB is a good guide to use. A lot of auto sales use the NADA, which isn't too far off of KBB, or the auction pricing. Not sure how many of the auction pricing websites there are, but I've heard of at least 3 when I was looking at my current truck. They kept trying to low ball me on my old one until I got the NADA price and went to CarMax. They gave me a price to outright buy my truck and that's the price I went in negotiating with.

EDIT**BTW, mine was MSRP of 43 and some change, KBB has it at 26k+ trade in and 28.8k private sale.

Last edited by Manuellabour247; 08-26-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hetman
So In only 2 years if you went by the MSRP of 38.5k it has lost 15.5K in 2 years?

That kinda sucks

It does, but there are 3 things going against you.

1. F-150 is the #1 selling vehicle. They are a dime a dozen. There are 400,000 more "just like yours" out there every year.

2. Nobody pays MSRP.

3. The 2015's are around the corner, further reducing values.

You want to be depressed? Look up the Galves value. It's roughly the auction value and what dealers will give you. Why would I pay more for yours when I can go to any auto auction and buy one just like it for less?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

don't you think that if you were able to buy it for $29k that KBB and the dealers, especially Ford dealer use a similar value as the initial cost, not the MSRP???? Especially since pretty much no-one is paying MSRP, unless their trade in is similarly inflated?

and if you paid $29k including TTL, that suggests that the actual price was more like $27k before TTL. So your drop over 2 years on this basis is $4k before tax or $6k total, for 26k miles......doesnt sound too outrageous to me.

Were you expecting them to offer $30k, when dealers are offering new 2014 XLTs for that???
Old 08-26-2014, 11:11 PM
2018 FX4 2.7L Super Crew

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My experience is that dealers SUCK. They all used blacklist which gave you a laughable trade in value. It was comparable to the "rough" trade in value of KBB even though the truck is flawless. Doesn't matter how well you took care of it or new accessories, tires etc. You can bet your *** they will turn around and sell it for way more than they'll give you. You are much better off selling it yourself. You'll get more money.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

So you lost $6k in two years. About right with any common vehicle. You got the average xlt which are a dime a dozen so it sells cheap new and used... It's a good value - which is why they are popular.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Noone pays MSRP for these trucks bro- it might as well be an imaginary number. And of course a vehicle depreciates the most in years 1-3 when you drive off the lot. Either buy used, or keep the thing as long as you can... It's a depreciating asset, not an investment.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 198 Likes on 165 Posts

Wink

I feel for ya. I know that it suc*s big time. We always believe that it's worth more. I sold cars for a lot of years. First back when I was a yut, my Dad and uncle were partners on a used car dealership. We had two lots for quite a few years. We got most of our vehicles from Dealer auctions, occasional trade-ins, and at New Car dealerships "Wholesale Lot". A lot of times we could get a nice dealer trade for cheap. My Dad was friends with a lot of Car Dealers. Then a few years ago I sold New/Used at a Ford dealership. As a sales rep., we always made a lot more money on used vehicles. Sometimes to get the deal on a new car, we had to settle for what was called a "Mini Deal". I would only make $100.00 bucks in commission. On those deals I would make it up with add-ons, like ext. warranties, or accessories like bed liners etc.. On used cars though I could make hundreds easily. Some deals I made $700.00 or more. And this was back in the mid '90's. Now that I'm thru babbling on. The bottom line, to me, is that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at that time. At the moment I have over $70,000 in my truck. If I ever were to try and sell it or trade it I can kiss all that money by, by.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

One thing I learned from buying and trading / selling is not only to know what my trade is worth but what the dealer can sell it for!! He's in the business to make top dollar for that truck. On the other hand, to do that, he has to low-ball you. After you look up the value for a trade, plug in the numbers to see how much the dealer can get for that truck. That's your negotiation range. Sometimes simply pointing out that differential may net you an additional $500 - $1000. More than that I wouldn't count on. Dealers make their money on used vehicles; where a new car averages a few hundred dollars for a dealer, used cars will net thousands due to the misadjusted Trade - Resell variance.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah. ..and forget about recouping any of those aftermarket upgrades.

Quick Reply: Truck value question?