Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Overheated, Permanent Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Truck Overheated, Permanent Damage?

I was stopped in traffic and noticed my engine overheat warning came on. I pulled over into a parking lot immediately and shut off my engine. I troubleshot it down to the water pump. The pulley had excessive play and my coolant leaked all over the ground. My question is, what are the chances that permanent damage was done to my engine? Like I said, I pulled over immediately when I noticed the warning light on my dash. Stupid me, I didn't scan my gauges that day either while driving. I should of noticed that my coolant temp was above normal. I normally scan my gauges every couple of minutes. Are these newer engines susceptible overheating damage? I'll be changing the water pump this Saturday. Looks like an easy job on these trucks.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:17 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I would imagine you're fine as you got it shut down quick enough.
The following users liked this post:
Al_Maryland (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Should be fine as the trucks have "limp mode" to help when overheating. Sounds like you didn't even get hot enough for that because you didn't indicate it was running odd (cylinders deactivating to pump air through motor for cooling).
Al_Maryland (08-24-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Same happened to me on the Interstate, you should be fine. The idiot lights come on before damage occurs and these trucks do have a limp mode.

Did your pump start sounding like a super charger on acceleration to?

Last edited by RajunKajun59; 08-28-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

No, didn't hear any noises. I changed the pump myself and everything works fine for the most part. I do see my coolant guage jumping around a bit although not into the red. The needle jumps between 7 and 5 oclock on the gauge. I never really noticed that before, but I wasn't looking for it either. LOL. I just get paranoid after working on my vehicles. I suddenly see things and hear things after working on them!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Al_Maryland
No, didn't hear any noises. I changed the pump myself and everything works fine for the most part. I do see my coolant guage jumping around a bit although not into the red. The needle jumps between 7 and 5 oclock on the gauge. I never really noticed that before, but I wasn't looking for it either. LOL. I just get paranoid after working on my vehicles. I suddenly see things and hear things after working on them!
You might have a trapped air pocket, park the truck with the nose pointed as high as possible, hill or ramps or something, run the engine and top off the degas bottle as needed.
Al_Maryland (09-02-2017)