Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri fold tonneau cover owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tri fold tonneau cover owners

I'm looking for some input on tri fold tonneau covers. One of thing I can't live without is ease of removal. Some weekends I'll need the cover on while other weekends I'll want it completely off for hauling my dirt bike. I would also prefer it to be flush with the top of the bed.

I've already done a bit of research but I haven't found any information on the ease of removing the 3 panels.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I have a ‘13 Screw and my first tonneau I installed on it was a tri fold from Amazon. The brand was TYGER! For the low price, it was a nice fitting, low cost and very waterproof cover. The front panel was attached with large plastic wing nuts so removal and install was very easy. I had it for over a year and opened it several times a week and it never showed any signs of wear. The ONLY reason I bought a different one was because I changed the “look” of my build.
I just bought another tri fold. It’s a Lund “Genesis Elite Ragtop”. It’s convertible fabric not vinyl. The front is secured with “flip” latches, same as the rear so removal would be that much easier. Each of the 4 latches has provisions for a lock to prevent theft. I purchased 2 sets of keys alike locks. One set for the rear and the key stays on my key ring. The other set is for the front latches. If I want to remove the cover completely, that key is in the packet with my owners manual.
TYGER was somewhere just under $250
Lund was $500
Hope this info helps!
Mike
Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 PM

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Bakflip F1 here for 6 years. Great product and absolute best type of cover available. It removes by taking off 2 hand turntable nuts on the underside. It can easily be picked up by one man and placed in your garage. I used to remove mine for my sport bike hauling duties. After 6 years mine is still working perfectly. It needs to be repainted on top but I will do that after this year in a garage with spray paint.

Rolling covers imo have more negatives than positives.The roller fills with water, debris, snow, ice, etc. also weighs more and harder to get on and off. They also allow for a bed cage and rooftop tent which is badass. Nice thing about rollers as well is damn they look good when they are perfectly new and clean.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Have a Tri-Fold by Rugged Liner on my '13. Been on for three years now. Double seals, no leaks and fairly easy removal. You should be able to look it up at Rugged Liner Web site.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I found a Extang Tri Fold on CL for free. It had some hail damage so I filled them in with bondo, scuffed up the top and did a roll on bedliner. It turned out awesome.

Only thing I wish it did was fold completely up against the cab. The newer models do..
The following users liked this post:
Piney68 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

TonneauPro Trifold on mine for about 4 years now. I take it on and off weekly sometimes. Ease of on/off was the reason I bought it. Not entirely watertight but I don't carry anything in the bed that would be ruined by a little water on the floor. It sits on the bed rails, about 1 inch thick.

Last edited by SportsLab; 06-24-2019 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Sounds like the install/removal is pretty universal. I bought a $100 soft tri fold when I first got my truck, like others said the front installed with a screw clamp under the bed rails on each side, and the rear was a spring loaded latch on each side. I only used it for a few weeks when I won a Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It installs the same way, just with heavier duty hardware. I've had it for 2.5 years, it's still leak proof and is very easy to use. I probably only remove it a few times a year, but it's very easy to do so. I had to take it off just last Friday when I picked up a patio furniture set that was larger than expected. It only slowed me up by about 3 minutes and the tonneau slid folded up next to the boxes in the bed.

Trending Topics

Old 06-25-2019, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an amazon one that came on my truck

Ran about $250 new
No idea on the age of mine, but it wasnt super waterproof

Folded up easy
Tooless install/removal in less than 2min

Wanna say it was Tonno-Pro Brand

replaced it with a canopy!
Old 06-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by bassJAM
Sounds like the install/removal is pretty universal. I bought a $100 soft tri fold when I first got my truck, like others said the front installed with a screw clamp under the bed rails on each side, and the rear was a spring loaded latch on each side. I only used it for a few weeks when I won a Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It installs the same way, just with heavier duty hardware. I've had it for 2.5 years, it's still leak proof and is very easy to use. I probably only remove it a few times a year, but it's very easy to do so. I had to take it off just last Friday when I picked up a patio furniture set that was larger than expected. It only slowed me up by about 3 minutes and the tonneau slid folded up next to the boxes in the bed.
The ones I have seen have been pretty universal. The ones that fold up against the back of the cab do attach somewhat different, but it's very similar.

Main difference I have noticed brand to brand, is weight. Most are fairly light weight, but some of the heavier duty ones that are designed to be able to support a lot of weight on top can be heavy and cumbersome to remove.

I have an XTang trifold on my truck, and the wife has helped me take it off and reinstall several times. With how light it is, I could do it myself, if it wasn't for the size. The size makes it much easier to do with a second person.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for "yes.. easy to get on and off".. I take mine on/off all the time. One person can do it easily in 5 minutes or less.. I dont know the brand of mine because i got it as a gift but its vinyl and has been great for 4+ years.. Id buy it again if I got another truck..

Quick Reply: Tri fold tonneau cover owners