Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer towing with f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer towing with f150

Hey guys I just brought my first Ford and truck....
I had a Chevy then a xterra but needed a bit more grunt to tow my race car.
So I got the 2010 F150 fx4 I got the tow package but without the brake controller cause the salesmen told me that the truck will brake the trailer it does have trailer brakes n the controller is just for extra Large trailers is that true?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

if the trailer is equipped with electric trailer brakes you need a brake controller. if youre pulling a trailer big enough to haul a race car the trailer should have electric brakes to be legal unless it has surge brakes.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice truck there The brake controller powers your electric trailer brakes. If your trailer does not have electric brakes, that might be why the salesman said the controller was not needed.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the 7 pin would control the electric brakes on the trailer and the TBC was to integrate the trailer with the truck and provide extra control. So so you have to have a TBC to use electric brakes?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manic5_2001
I thought the 7 pin would control the electric brakes on the trailer and the TBC was to integrate the trailer with the truck and provide extra control. So so you have to have a TBC to use electric brakes?
I am not an expert, but was always told that you need the controller to control the amount of voltage going to the brakes. If it were just an on and off situation, the brakes would lock up. With out the control, I think you just get lights, turn signals, etc.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Politically incorrect

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need an EBC to send the signal through the 7 pin, either factory installed or after market. Salesman was selling a truck, obviously. Look up discount trailer brake controllers on line. I bought a Tekonsha P2 Prodigy and am very happy with it. Ford has the plug in harness in place so it's a breeze to put in.

Go here to look although there are other cheaper priced vendors:

https://www.southwestwheel.com/store...rodigy-p2.aspx
Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by manic5_2001
That's what I thought..... that the truck will brake the brake automatically except for exceptionally large trailers.... and thanks guys for helping out,
Old 01-05-2011, 12:06 PM

I believe it depends on the truck. I say this because one of my old Fords had power going to the 7 pin for E-brakes but did not have a controler. So if the trailer had E-brakes it would give full power all the time. I doubt they would do this for the new trakes in fear of the trailers wheels locking up (which they did). If your towing anything over I think 3500lbs the trailer should be equiped with at least one brake. Sounds like you will be so get a brake controler. for the price its just smart to do it. If you dont put the money in the controller you will put money into replacing your pads earlier then you could have. Also if your towing over 5k lbs make sure to get a Weight Distributing Hitch.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

you will need a brake controller in order to properly utilize the trailer brakes. i used to pull my race car with my old 2000 F150 and at first i didn't have a brake controller and it stopped ok, just took a few more feet. i got a controller and it stopped so much better. i don't have my race car anymore, so the only thing i tow now is a small trailer with atv's on it. nothing over 1500lbs so i didn't get a controller on my 2010 F150. for the little cost now, the controller will save money on brake jobs later...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FoMoFun
You need an EBC to send the signal through the 7 pin, either factory installed or after market. Salesman was selling a truck, obviously. Look up discount trailer brake controllers on line. I bought a Tekonsha P2 Prodigy and am very happy with it. Ford has the plug in harness in place so it's a breeze to put in.

Go here to look although there are other cheaper priced vendors:

https://www.southwestwheel.com/store...rodigy-p2.aspx
Where was the harness located exactly? I wonder if mine has the wiring already since it doesnt have a tow package? I have a prodigy controller too, they are great.

Quick Reply: trailer towing with f150