Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover with tailgate step

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tonneau cover with tailgate step

I am shopping for a new f150 and am considering getting the tailgate step. Have any of you with this step had a Leer or A.R.E. hard tonneau cover installed? Typically they remove the factory installed plastic on top of the tailgate and replace it with their own when installing the cover. I am just wondering how this is addressed when one has the tailgate option.
Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you want the hard top? I just put the the soft Tonneau on my truck and it has no problems with the tailgate step
The following users liked this post:
Rdgallo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Ford factory hard top and the step and no problem at all. That step is awfully handy well worth the money. I like the looks of the hardtop on my truck but after having it a while I would much rather have put on a bacflip. Lot more practical.
Rdgallo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Ford Blue

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Leer with no problems. They did not remove anything from the tailgate. I also have the tailgate step.
Rdgallo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

That's GM's your thinking of. They have that stupid plastic clad spoiler bolted to the gate and they have to remove it for a hard cover.

One of GM's many irks.
Rdgallo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

had a retrax on the superduty with tailgate step and had no issues. Truck Covers USA on my 150 with the tailgate step had have no issues. I have had back surgery and the step is a life saver. My buddy has the leer and has no issues with the step and his bed cap.

Last edited by bcangelo; 09-01-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Rdgallo (09-02-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tdowell65
I have the Ford factory hard top and the step and no problem at all. That step is awfully handy well worth the money. I like the looks of the hardtop on my truck but after having it a while I would much rather have put on a bacflip. Lot more practical.
I have been looking at the Bakflip F1. It is nice looking. I have had either the Leer or the A.R.E. covers on my last three trucks. They are great looking, but sure limit how you can use the bed of your truck. I wonder how water proof the F1 is with all the hinged joints. Have any of you guys installed a Bakflip F1 and if so, how hard is it to do?
Thanks for all the responses.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

I have installed a Bakflip G2 on my truck which should be the same. it was really easy, took me less than 30 minutes and was the first time I'd ever installed a tonneau before. I personally don't care for the G2 and wish I had gotten the F1 because mine is totally dented and scratched to hell and looks awful on my truck. with that said, even going 80mph in a downpour I have never had anything get wet in the bed. I think the one place water could get in, though, is actually on either side of the tailgate step where there are small gaps in the trim piece. but obviously that isn't something you'd have to worry about unless you were doing 30mph in reverse lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM
RJ

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an Under Cover SE Truck bed cover along with the tail gate step. The cover sits on top of the black plastic bed rails cap and it's a very simple installation. The nice thing about the Under Cover (if you want a hard cover) is it's light enough in weight that I can take it on/off by myself (where a lot of other hard covers weigh much more). You can get the the Under Cover in a textured finish or a smooth finish if you want to do a paint match.
Textured:
http://www.undercoverinfo.com/se_new.php
Smooth/Painted:
http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ses_photos.php
They also have fold up and other low profile covers as well.
I have to agree the that the Lear, A.R.E and Backflip are all great products as well. In the end I based my decision on being light weight so I could take it off myself, being strong enough that I could stand on it, and price ($649).

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover with tailgate step