Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau cover question....Leer, A.R.E., Undercover

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tonneau cover question....Leer, A.R.E., Undercover

I'm considering a '13 Limited, and I'm trying to plan ahead for a tonneau cover for it if I get it. My question is, what would be the reasons to choose a Leer 700/550 or A.R.E. LSX/Ultra over an Undercover SE/LUX?

The size of the Leer and A.R.E. make them look more stout and solid, but I believe the Undercover is actually stronger. I'm not sure if the paint would hold up better on the fiberglass Leer and A.R.E. than the Undercover, so I guess that's another question I have. And I'm also not sure what the pricing is of each. I think a lighter cover would be better for fuel economy as well, over a heavier cover.

If quality is pretty much the same and the Undercover SE/LUX is a good bit lighter, I don't know what the reason would be to choose a heavier tonneau cover. So please, help me out. As with any thread, pictures are always welcome.

Thanks, guys!

Oh, and my intended use.... Most of the time the cover would stay on the truck. I'd use the bed for luggage on trips (I work out of state and travel back and forth every two weeks, and the truck would be used on vacations to visit relatives) and for Pelican cases for rifles when I go to the range. There would be other random things I'd stick back there as well. There would be a few occasions when I'd need to use the entire bed and I'd need to remove the cover. If I went with one of the Leer or A.R.E. covers, I'd probably wind up getting a small, cheap trailer so I wouldn't have to remove the cover and find a place a stick it. That's one thing that's a plus for the Undercover, since it can hang on a wall when not being utilized on the truck and it's light enough for one person to remove. But if the Leer or A.R.E. covers are really that much better, getting a trailer wouldn't really be a problem.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I went with the Leer 700 I really like the look of it on the fords. I had an undercover on my Titan and the fit was never right it always rubbed on the edge of the bed. With the Leer there is more space in the bed to store stuff. With the undercover because of the extra strength it has braces under it that takeaway from the storage area up top. With the leer you can have something that is a little taller than the bed, with the undercover it has to be a little shorter the the height of the bed. I did not like the look of the ARE and plus it was about 300 bucks more than the leer 700.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the undercover. It's great comes off easily weighs 50 pounds. Mine is black but you can get em smooth to be painted. I really love it. With the line x my bed is water tight.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Www.rolltopcover.com
Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by dodgehemi0
I was in the same boat a few months ago. I went with the Leer 700 I really like the look of it on the fords. I had an undercover on my Titan and the fit was never right it always rubbed on the edge of the bed. With the Leer there is more space in the bed to store stuff. With the undercover because of the extra strength it has braces under it that takeaway from the storage area up top. With the leer you can have something that is a little taller than the bed, with the undercover it has to be a little shorter the the height of the bed. I did not like the look of the ARE and plus it was about 300 bucks more than the leer 700.
Is the fit a common issue with the Undercover? I didn't consider the loss of space underneath the cover due to bracing. Thanks for mentioning that point.

Originally Posted by medic579
I have the undercover. It's great comes off easily weighs 50 pounds. Mine is black but you can get em smooth to be painted. I really love it. With the line x my bed is water tight.
I was planning to get a Bedrug for a liner, simply because it would be easier on the knees when crawling around on there with less heat and being softer, while still having nice grip to keep things from sliding around. I'm assuming you're not having any rubbing issues with your cover?

Originally Posted by SultanGris
Thanks for the link. Just checked it out and was a little intrigued. However, I'm leaning toward getting something painted to match the truck.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM

Saw another reason last night to lean toward the Leer or A.R.E.; the warranty. Leer and A.R.E. both have limited lifetime warranties, while Undercover has a 3 year warranty. Stuff always seems to start going wrong for me right after the warranty expires. lol
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bakflip

My advise is to go with the Bakflip. Combines the advantages of a solid cover with the convenience of no cover. The only way to go. I had one added to my 2011 as soon as I took delivery. Wouldn't have any other cover.
http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cowboy0707
My advise is to go with the Bakflip. Combines the advantages of a solid cover with the convenience of no cover. The only way to go. I had one added to my 2011 as soon as I took delivery. Wouldn't have any other cover.
http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/
I looked really hard at the Bakflip. If I decided to not get one that was painted to match, it would probably be the way I'd go. It definitely offers a lot of versatility, which I like.

One thing that's kinda holding me back is the reports of slight leaks with any of the folding hard covers. Right now, I'm planning to get a Bedrug. If the cover leaks a little and I don't realize it (due to not having anything stored in the bed), the Bedrug would start to get a mildewy smell. If I went with a folding hard cover, I'd definitely change my plans for the liner and go with a spray in.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had no problems with the fit of the Undercover on my Fords. I now have my 2nd. The main reason I went with it is that I can remove it myself very easily. The bracing built into the topper only takes up a couple of inches of space....not significant IMHO. I had my last one for 5 years and it looked like new when I sold my truck and I did nothing special other than wash it occasionally.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 AM

How long does it take to remove the Undercover? What all is involved?

Quick Reply: Tonneau cover question....Leer, A.R.E., Undercover