Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Chains - What do I really need, if any?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Tire Chains - What do I really need, if any?

I searched the forum, found a lot of chain threads, but didn't find any that really addressed my issues:

2012 F-150 3.55 EB 4x4 Plat SCREW
I live in North Central Kansas. Last year we got .02" of snow. A normal winter would be 3' - 6' total snow. I probably would never have to resort to chains and if it got that bad, I would just stay home for a few days. I'm used to driving in snow, etc. and that's not a problem. But....

One of my kids who lives in Salt Lake City, UT has invited me to come spend Christmas week with them. I would go straight North from the center of KS up to I-80 and across thru NE, WY & UT. Who know what the weather will be like there, that week. If I should run into someplace that has a "chains required" law in effect, I want to be able to continue on my trip, without having to shop for chains, at that time, in that area. It seems much better to just get a couple of good sets for $150 each or so and be prepared. Do I really need that much? Is it more sensible to get cheap ones and throw them away sooner and if I ever need them again, get more cheap ones? Or is it unlikely there would be a problem on I-80 and even if there were, would my 4x4 (with a little weight in back) meet any emergency snow regulations? TIA
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 125 Likes on 69 Posts

Up to you if you don't feel safe without them.

We've had snow/ice for over a month now and never have even thought of chains. Have winter rated tires, 4x4 and diff lock. Good enough for me and we've got probably 2 feet total in town of snow so far this year. 3+at the lake and no issues at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Check out this place. http://www.vulcantire.com/tirechains...FemiPAod0EAAXw

Also, if you go to those states DMV websites. You can probably find their laws regarding tire chains.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Out of many years throughout wyoming and montana I only ever needed chains once, and that wasn't on the major highways. I don't see you needing them through the wyoming portion of I-80. Can't speak for the rest. You have 4x4 so you should be good to go. It's pretty rare that roads close to 4x4 and chains become mandatory. When that does happen I'd just pull over to a cafe or rest area for a little bit.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had to buy a couple of sets of chains a couple of years back when we went to Oregon. State law required them for that time of year, and the route we were taking. I never used them living here in central Oklahoma, but didn't want to take the chance either. Kind of a cheap insurance thing. I still have them collecting dust. PM me your tire sizes, and if they will fit I'll make you a steal of a deal on them.
The following users liked this post:
Legendsk (12-02-2012)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what it's like in the states but us folks in BC have the choice....either run winter tires or carry chains.

I have neither on my new F 150. I've run winter tires before and I will again once I scrape up the 15 hundred to 2 grand its going to take to outfit my truck with them....

However....do you folks down there have the option to either have winter tires OR chains or do you need to carry chains even if you have winter tires?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Either or out here.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you come into an ice storm you'll be glad you have them. I've been thru at least 3 and even though at the time I only had 2WD I was among the only 2WD vehicles actually moving, even some of the 4x4's weren't.
I'd say just get some and play it safe. It would suck to have to stop/turn around and go back and try to hunt some down with everyone else.
Before you get them read your owner's manual, your rim tire combo on a Platinum will likely allow for it, mine didn't, but they work as long as you keep them really tight. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/wtf-no...manual-178198/

Les Schwab allows you to buy chains from them and if you don't use them you can return them for full credit, that was the case a few years back when I bought some for my wife's car. Not sure if they're in Wyoming, but I know they're in Utah.
As to whether a 4x4 with some weight in the back will get you by, likely however, I have heard of instances where they even checked 4x4's for snow tires if they seen you didn't have chains. The few checkpoints I drove thru with my 4x4 and all seasons they just waived me thru, but I think it was because it really wasn't that bad and they seen 4x4 on the side of the truck.
As to being fined for not having proper tires/chains, my understanding is you'll get fined after the wreck.
The other thing is you really just need a single set for the rear.

Wyoming - 4x4 and all seasons are adequate
Utah - 4x4 and 2 rear wheel mounted snow tires/chains

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/con...Wheelin%27.pdf
http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=10...T,V:1673,64441

BTW - cheap ones would likely be fine, since it's unlikely you'll use them, but I was happy with the ones I bought for around $100 a pair from tirechains.com, you might also consider cables.

Last edited by gwpfan; 12-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
2011 King Ranch

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being in Georgia we rarely see snow, much less have a need for tire chains. However, being in the rigging industry one of the manufacturers I'm very familiar with makes tire chains. They're a German company and their products are, without question, top of the line. So if you're serious about getting top quality tire chains, look no further than RUD Chain.

http://www.rud.com/en-us/products/sc...tten/llkw.html
The following users liked this post:
Kenferg1 (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for I80 in UT but I can't see why you would want chains in NE or WY. If I80 closes in either of these states you end up waiting in a truck stop till things settle down anyway. Usually if conditions are bad it is more blowing snow and you can't see 50 foot in front of you so you pull off anyway or there is ice so bad they close the gates on the interstate and you have no choice to pull off.

Quick Reply: Tire Chains - What do I really need, if any?