Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick tick tick from front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Buz

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone else ever hear a "tick tick tick" noise coming from the front brakes when coming to a stop? New 2011 XLT.

It only seems to do it on the first application of the brakes after starting the truck. Sounds like a metal tab or something. Is it from changing from reverse to drive and something is resetting?

Last edited by Buz; 01-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buz
Anyone else ever hear a "tick tick tick" noise coming from the front brakes when coming to a stop? New 2011 XLT.

It only seems to do it on the first application of the brakes after starting the truck. Sounds like a metal tab or something. Is it from changing from reverse to drive and something is resetting?
Could you have a rock stuck in there
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Time to yank the wheel and check????
Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Buz

I don't think so. It doesn't sound like a grinding or scraping, just a light tick tick. Can't even feel it in the brake pedal.
And it only does it on the first braking application.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck did that it was the center cap removed and reinstalled and it went away hope that does it for ya
Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Buz

Originally Posted by 09fone50
my truck did that it was the center cap removed and reinstalled and it went away hope that does it for ya
You mean the plastic lug nut cap?
Or did you take the wheel off?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Das has beening having the same problem, he actually has an apointment tomorrow to have it looked at. I will post the findings.

At first we thought the noise was coming from in under the dash, but we tried everything under there and the noise was still there. Untill one day he just happened to be driving with the window down and realized it was coming from the drivers wheel.

He said it all started after one heavy rain fall, he went through a puddle that was deeper then he realized. Sounds like a baseball card in a bike wheel spoke, but it doesnt happen all the time.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Buz

Originally Posted by cobymedic
My Das has beening having the same problem, he actually has an apointment tomorrow to have it looked at. I will post the findings.

At first we thought the noise was coming from in under the dash, but we tried everything under there and the noise was still there. Untill one day he just happened to be driving with the window down and realized it was coming from the drivers wheel.

He said it all started after one heavy rain fall, he went through a puddle that was deeper then he realized. Sounds like a baseball card in a bike wheel spoke, but it doesnt happen all the time.
That's the noise. And yes you hear it when the driver window is down.

I need to confirm but I think it only happens after I use the brakes in reverse and then use them the first time in drive. Almost like a thin metal tab sound.

Please report your findings.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its your calipers resetting when you put it from drive to reverse or vice versa. Mine does it too. No worries.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have same issue if the truck sits overnight a high pitch squeel when taking off. It goes away when I start moving. I also notice my driver side rim has more brake dust then the passenger side. I need to make an appointment to take it in.

Quick Reply: Tick tick tick from front brakes?