Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought oh high speed vibration and this fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:01 PM
2013 F150 FX4 SC ecoboost

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Thought oh high speed vibration and this fix?

I'm getting bad side to side vibration at 75-80 mph
I have aftermarket wheels (Goodyear duratrac)
35k miles on truck and 22k on tires with plenty of tread left
Have an extended warranty

Dealership said the fix is alignment and road force balance. Not covered under warranty so $300

Just got a call that they could fix about 80% of it but the last bit needs to be fixed by driving it for up to 10k miles.

Sounds to me like they didn't fix it? In thinking I should pay for the $300 if this isn't he fix. What do you guys think/recommend?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

When did the symptom start?

The $300 for an alignment and road force (hunter) balance is expensive. Road force balance should be in the $100 range. Lifetime alignment is $120, $160 range. Just a normal balance should be $60 to $80.

You paid them to balance and align your truck. These are traditional steps to with when troubleshooting such a problem. It doesn't guarantee the fix. Sounds like you're going to have to pony up for additional service to obtain the true fix. Essentially your alignment is verified, and your balance is now verified. Next step?

The driving it for 10k miles will fix the remainder is baloney. Problems don't fix themselves.

The trick to all of this is locating the issue, or multiple issues that are contributing to your vibration.

If you rotate your tires front to back does the symptom become worse or better? Have you cross rotated your wheel/tires? What size tire are you running? Which load rating?

Have a buddy with different wheels and tires, swap with him?

How much weight is applied to each wheel? You can balance most anything out of a wheel/tire, even on the Hunter machine, it will show correct, however a wheel with a tremendous amount of weight is masquerading a larger that's likely showing itself at 75-80mph.

Have you jacked front off the ground and done the 12/6 o'oclock shake down to verify the hubs/bearings are in good working order? Should be no or maybe an 1/8th of an inch play.

The dealer is generally going to be on the high end price wise for any service.

Quick Reply: Thought oh high speed vibration and this fix?