Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I Used to Like But Grew Out Of

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Things I Used to Like But Grew Out Of

I've been slowly making my 14' into "my truck" and I've considered swapping out some stuff and some mild upgrades. At my work I get to see a ton of trucks come through (I run a gas station) and I've found that my tastes have gone from teenager-like to old man-like somewhere in the past few years.

I used to like slick aftermarket rims, custom trim/lights, lifts, big tires, heavy off-road bumpers, etc. The more trucks I see dressed up with that stuff, the less likely I feel like I'll ever do anything like that to my truck.

On the other hand, I've grown to like tasteful chrome applications, good looking factory wheels, factory stance, leather seats, more luxury-esque interiors, and generally i just prefer a nice unmodified factory look.

Things I AM going to change:

- Factory speakers ate garbage but I like the simple factory HU.

- I'm going to either get high-end seat covers or have my seats leather upholstered.

- Swap for different style factory 17" rims. My base 5-spoke alloys are the ugliest I've had on a truck I would prefer

Anyone else grow out of the lifted boy-truck phase?
The following 5 users liked this post by FiveInADime:
DemonGT (01-28-2017), JoeInPI (02-02-2017), Minnjim (01-26-2017), MrLunchbox (01-23-2017), vtoy1 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveInADime
I've been slowly making my 14' into "my truck" and I've considered swapping out some stuff and some mild upgrades. At my work I get to see a ton of trucks come through (I run a gas station) and I've found that my tastes have gone from teenager-like to old man-like somewhere in the past few years.

I used to like slick aftermarket rims, custom trim/lights, lifts, big tires, heavy off-road bumpers, etc. The more trucks I see dressed up with that stuff, the less likely I feel like I'll ever do anything like that to my truck.

On the other hand, I've grown to like tasteful chrome applications, good looking factory wheels, factory stance, leather seats, more luxury-esque interiors, and generally i just prefer a nice unmodified factory look.

- I'm going to either get high-end seat covers or have my seats leather upholstered.

- Swap for different style factory 17" rims. My base 5-spoke alloys are the ugliest I've had on a truck I would prefer

I don't think I'll ever grow out of that phase. I like it clean and simple, but there's nothing wrong with a lift and a nice set of rims and tires.
The following users liked this post:
MrLunchbox (01-23-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I just want mine fast and loud... guess I'm still a kiddo (33 years old)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

I love looking at what everyone does to their trucks to make them the biggest, meanest, or fastest ride on the street. And I would do that if I could, but I will settle for living through everyone else.

Personally I now crave function over fashion. So jacking it up, adding bigger tires and tougher bumpers is so sexy for someone out in the country who uses it. But the parking lot queens around here just don't do it for me anymore. I just think, poor MPG, poor handling, inconvenient to haul people or things around frequently.

Last edited by EcoBoostJake; 01-19-2017 at 03:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by EcoBoostJake:
JoeInPI (02-02-2017), Minnjim (01-26-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM
ND Meatball Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I know I've certainly 'grown up' some in the past 5 years or so.

In previous rides I had the loud dual exhaust, mud terrain tires, off-road lights, full aftermarket stereo, etc. I always wanted a lifted rig, but could never really afford it.

I now drive a mostly stock '14 FX4 with a mellow, single outlet exhaust and highway friendly (read 'practical') tires...and I'm perfectly content with it.

I still love the look of some of the lifted/off-road crowd, but I've accepted practicality fits my lifestyle better.
Minnjim (01-26-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I should admit that I've got my itch somewhat scratched for an off-road ride by my 99' XJ Cherokee. It's mildly lifted with muddies on it and trimmed fenders, led lights, etc. It would wheel all over my F-150 even if I did have big tires and a lift.

But I'm really liking having a tame, refined ride to haul the family and toys around with. This F-150 is by-far the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.
The following 3 users liked this post by FiveInADime:
0488FB (01-22-2017), JoeInPI (02-02-2017), Minnjim (01-26-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

If I had the use for a lift kit, huge tires, etc.. sure, it would be cool to do all that stuff. For me, my truck is driven a lot. Will be around 30k miles a year. I did a nice sounding exhaust, tune on the way, and would eventually like a nicer wheel/tire combo. Interior wise I would like to upgrade the speakers just due to my time spent inside and I believe it would make it more enjoyable.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 542 Likes on 451 Posts

the loud exhaust was the first thing to go for me...can't stand it anymore.
I, like OP, prefer an OEM+ look as i like to call it. Leveled, larger tire to fill wheel well, upgraded OEM lighting (no halo/oracle/LED strip), upgraded audio. Simple, clean, and comfortable DD that i feel should have came from the factory.

Of course this is for my personal vehicle. I do still appreciate the work/money/time put into other trucks i see on IG

Last edited by zimmer0; 01-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.
JoeInPI (02-02-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Yep. Its called growing up. I used to like similar things and now I'm a less is more guy. Less chrome, Less accessories, etc.
Minnjim (01-26-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:01 PM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Not so much a lift, just level. Agree with op, not a huge fan of most aftermarket wheels.

I like the way my truck is setup and don't see doing anything else.