Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking your tuned truck in

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Taking your tuned truck in

How many of y'all have taken your tuned trucks in to the dealership? have they ever told you any thing?

I am planning on getting a tuner but just scared about warranty issues. Will i really be ok if i return it to stock before i take it in?

I have read some places that no matter what you do they can still find out if you tuned it or not even if you returned it to stock.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

its hard for us to detect a tune. The only time ford request's us to try and verify modifications to its parameters is when a brand new truck comes in for a major engine or tranny issues (which is rare) The only thing we have been asked is are there any modifications done to the truck (intakes, wheels, cams, etc etc)

Simply return it to stock and dont worry about it.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I think I am going to pull the trigger
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Returned mine to stock yesterday and put about 30 miles on it before dropping it off at service department. Got a call today that it'll be ready tomorrow and a comment "truck sounds nice"...thx Magnaflow.

Nothing mentioned about previous X3 flashes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
its hard for us to detect a tune. The only time ford request's us to try and verify modifications to its parameters is when a brand new truck comes in for a major engine or tranny issues (which is rare) The only thing we have been asked is are there any modifications done to the truck (intakes, wheels, cams, etc etc)

Ok, good to know thanks.

You working at a Ford dealer now, are you?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM

negative, re enlisted back in the Corps Oct of 2010
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by motox151

Intakes? My dealer put in writing that a Rousch Intake will not affect warranty if it is operating correctly.

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Returning to stock is the wisest decision, also having a dealer that is 'mod friendly' is helpful. I'd suggest always returning the airbox and the tune to stock forms, I have never seen a dealer throw a fit over exhaust (plus its a pain to swap over).

You just have to remember that when you tune, if something arises you have to be down with the adage 'you may have to pay to play'. Believe me, no one here has the resources to take on ford over a warranty issues because they say a modification voided your warranty or caused the failure. They can tell when you have tuned, this is when its helpful to have a mod friendly dealer who will help you out a bit. Buying FOMOCO aftermarket parts like roush, or ford racing is also helpful... sometimes.

If you look at my truck you will see I am not someone who is here to tell you it will void your warranty or not to do it, I am just offering a word of caution about the dealers point of view and that they CAN see when you have tuned.

Why do I post this, simple, because I have a tuned truck and think it made a world of difference in the truck... Then I had several of my injectors stick open, on a 2005 F150 with the injector recall letter (a known issue from the factory). This is also when I was only running the Edge Evolution canned tunes, which adjust nothing to do with the injectors. The truck exhibited all the signs of injector failure, and the codes spelled it out.. so I limped it in thinking no problem this is recall work and I have the letter on hand and knew even though it was tuned the edge tunes did nothing with the motor, I had already put the stock intake and tune back in and dropped it off. Not 1 hour later I was getting a call from the dealer saying I was going to be denied the recall under both under warranty and from ford because I had tuned the truck. I started the argument and was back at the dealer within the hour where I proceeded to lose my butt with the dealer and a ford rep over the phone (they had apparently sent it in to ford for denial already). In the end I got stuck with the 800 dollar bill, and found out the hard way this dealer was a pric and that ford plays hardball even with recall issues..

It was a tough lesson to learn, but I knew already having an extremely heavily modified truck, I may have to pay to play eventually. I paid the bill, reinstalled my tunes and have had no other issues with the truck (with regards to factory parts) since then

Last edited by FX4life; 11-07-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM

they ask about intakes because if so the person is trying to get more ponies from the motor, thus the chance for other engine mods etc that could have led to the failure
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Read the section at the begining of your owners manual concerning mods and warrenty including prgraming computer. and keep in mind these newer computers store a lot of info Bubbabud 2011 XLT SC Ecoboost

Quick Reply: Taking your tuned truck in