Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default tailgate won't unlock TEMP FIX

i replaced the oem tailgate handle with a handle with a camera. All good for the last 2 months or so. Today, i could not unlock the tailgate. My key got stuck in the cylinder i was able to remove the key eventually, but i still cannot unlock the tailgate. Is there another way to open the tailgate when it is locked? My old dodge ram had a slot on the inside of the tailgate where you could use a screwdriver to raise a lever and the tailgate would open. I'll try some lubricant on the key to see if that helps.. bed has spray bedliner.
2014 stx
I just tried lubricant. The key only goes in the hole about 1/2 inch. Something is messed up in the cylinder. It's the oem cylinder. I put it on the new latch. I guess i have to remove the screws on the inside of the tailgate opposite the latch so see if I can remove the latch.

Last edited by allikanbe; 04-29-2024 at 03:20 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 04-29-2024, 03:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I removed the 8 torx screws and got to the latch mechanism. The part of the latch that opens the gate is slightly bent and would not strike the catch to open the gate. I can probably just bend the metal part, The other part is cheap plastic. At least the was an easy answer.
The following users liked this post:
Newbie 5 (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: tailgate won't unlock