Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync USB2 Mod ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sync USB2 Mod ?'s

I have a few questions for those of you that have completed the USB2 Mod. I am in the process of completed this mod. Currently I have been using a USB thumb drive in the dash. I have been having issues with Sync freezing, or the thumb drive is stuck on eternal initializing when leaving the device connected the next time I start the truck. I can recover the system by pulling out the thumb drive, and reinserting it. I have tried 3 different thumb drives, completed a master reset for each one, and made sure they are formatted FAT32.

Has anyone that has completed the USB2 Mod experienced these problems. I want to do this mod to leave the device connected without having to remove it all the time. I have contacted Sync, and there is no update for this problem as of yet. I currently have a 2011 Sync Gen1 V3.2.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yep, and yep!

Hey Pale,
Our XLTs are close cousins! I've done the USB2 mod and I've also done everything that you have to try to remedy the Sync Freeze bug. It's still there. Lately, pulling the thumb drive doesn't even help, Sync won't respond at all. The steering wheel button does nothing and the AUX button on the dash just causes SYNC to flash briefly and it goes back to radio or CD. I have to shut it down, pull the key, open the door, pull the flash drive, tap my head three times and wiggle my nose to get it to come back to life.

I'm convinced it's a bug in the firmware. Too many people with too many variables have complained about the same issue for it to be caused by the flash drive/mp3 player/iPod.

The mod is super easy and I used a long cable that I curled up in the glove box so it's easy to reach over and pull the drive. If they ever fix the issue, I'll get a little HDD and attach it to the back side of the box so it's completely out of the way.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM

ddemme, thanks for the response. I've been reading the forum on the Sync site, and there is a 3 page thread about this issue with no answers thus far. I was kind of hoping the USB2 port wouldn't suffer this problem(even though it's in the same module). Well hopefully there will be a fix sometime in the near future.

I'm currently waiting for this cable so I can complete this Mod.

http://www.pchcables.com/6goplqugxusb.html
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had a portable lap top hard drive connected to USB2 for a year now with no issues at all. Just had to make sure it was properly formatted and its been great.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fishhawk460
I've had a portable lap top hard drive connected to USB2 for a year now with no issues at all. Just had to make sure it was properly formatted and its been great.
I don't think this issue has affected the 2010's. This is on 2011 Sync Gen1-V3.2. I might be wrong though.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the hard drive under the mat on the dash. Just leave the screws out and it makes it easy to access in times like these. I haven't had any problems with SYNC freezing on my 320 external hard drive until recently, like the past week or so. Is there a new update?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you guys tried the "Sync my iTunes" application? It scans through your music library to find discrepencies in the mp3s with naming convention, mising/invalid property fields, bit rate, etc and will let you know if a file could cause a problem. Music files with missing artist, title, album, etc info can cause problems. If you don't have iTunes, I think there is one for WMP or just music files. Myself, my brother and my dad have never had a problem with playing mp3s off any usb jump drive (but we have all corrected our files with the provided app before hand).

Try this link...you will probably have to log in:
http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...meWithIOP.aspx
Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a case open with Ford on the Sync/USB issues. I have not heard back from them yet.

Originally Posted by Pale Screw
I have a few questions for those of you that have completed the USB2 Mod. I am in the process of completed this mod. Currently I have been using a USB thumb drive in the dash. I have been having issues with Sync freezing, or the thumb drive is stuck on eternal initializing when leaving the device connected the next time I start the truck. I can recover the system by pulling out the thumb drive, and reinserting it. I have tried 3 different thumb drives, completed a master reset for each one, and made sure they are formatted FAT32.

Has anyone that has completed the USB2 Mod experienced these problems. I want to do this mod to leave the device connected without having to remove it all the time. I have contacted Sync, and there is no update for this problem as of yet. I currently have a 2011 Sync Gen1 V3.2.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes. No help.

Originally Posted by HJ-F150
Have you guys tried the "Sync my iTunes" application? It scans through your music library to find discrepencies in the mp3s with naming convention, mising/invalid property fields, bit rate, etc and will let you know if a file could cause a problem. Music files with missing artist, title, album, etc info can cause problems. If you don't have iTunes, I think there is one for WMP or just music files. Myself, my brother and my dad have never had a problem with playing mp3s off any usb jump drive (but we have all corrected our files with the provided app before hand).

Try this link...you will probably have to log in:
http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...meWithIOP.aspx
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When this happens to me, I hit the phone button. When it switches to phone, I hold the phone button again until it switches back to usb2. It only takes a few seconds and I haven't had to unplug the hard drive anymore.

Quick Reply: Sync USB2 Mod ?'s