Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprise - 2009 F-150 Gas Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:30 PM
voiceman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Surprise - 2009 F-150 Gas Gauge Issue

Glad to see that I'm not the only one having the problem

2009 F-150 XTR

Originally the problem started 8 weeks ago ... truck started acting up (spit/spat) then wouldn't take a full tank when I needed it
Dave my buddy who is a semi-retired auto mechanic (besides cert welder of all metals+) strongly suggested fuel sending unit/floater so although he tried to buy aftermarket that part is only OEM
Changed OEM Part - Done - Working Awesome

We had just moved our son up to Humber College in Toronto and before starting our journey back home went to fill up ... then the 'FUN' begins.

Petro Canada Fuel
Gas Nozzle stops at 20$ ... pumping again 30$ fuel in and when I go to start it again ... run for 5 seconds click off ... run for 15 seconds .. click off
We needed to get home, to let the dog out so I must have stood there for atleast 45 minutes clicking gas in ... 52.32 was 'FULL' ALTHOUGH THE GAS GAUGE READ 1/4 OF TANK

OK

Off we start (2 hour drive) although as we were trying to accelerate abit more (to blend in with the traffic) the truck started to spit and spatter, hesitated ... floored it for 5-6 seconds ... seem fine - MADE IT HOME
Gas gauge and Dash Warning of Low fuel comes on
Needle was quite low to E

We walk in to the service desk and explain our MAIN concern ... GAS GAUGE NOT WORKING PROPERLY - Already replaced the sending unit/float that fits inside the gas tank 6 weeks ago - OEM - No problems
I dropped off the truck as the wife wanted - when I called to find out about the truck, they would only talk with my wife - seriously?? Whatever
NOW I KNEW my suspicions were right ... after being at the dealership for 3 days they were stumped - NO IDEA Contacted Head Office CANADA
HERE IT COMES ...didn't fix the problem - gas gauge still not working but she has a bill for $1800.00 for other parts that apparently needed to be done asap - New front rotors and brakes, new uppers (front end) NICE

So I decided to take it to a local garage (alot of ford vehicles in yard) and asked him. He asked the secretary to type in year,model, and it prob pumps out possible solutions - I'm guessing
Mechanic went out pop off the cover to fuse (PS) to check
lol - wouldn''t that be a good one ... just a fuse
NOPE NOT THAT LUCKY
Dropping it off to garage tomorrow - alot of ideas ( gas gauge itself is defected / bad ground / wiring )
ANY and ALL INPUT AS TO WHY IT'S HAPPENING AND HOW TO FIX greatly appreciated, as I believe it would better if I stayed away from the dealer.
Not too impressed - I will be raising my concern later

NO IDEA ... Again all thoughts as to what is causing the gas gauge problem
(After taking our son to college and made it home-replaced plugs and wiring
nice smooth rumble

Thanks for taking the time to look over my concern ....

Until then

PS- What is involved in a 're-boot' and what is done - thx
Old 09-09-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Evap purge valve under hood. Common problem. Causes negative pressure in tank, plastic tank sucks in, bends fuel sender = faulty reading on gauge and obviously you can't put as much gas in, cause it's deformed.
The following users liked this post:
voiceman (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Surprise - 2009 F-150 Gas Gauge Issue-image-2427452645.jpg
voiceman (09-10-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ji603
Evap purge valve under hood. Common problem. Causes negative pressure in tank, plastic tank sucks in, bends fuel sender = faulty reading on gauge and obviously you can't put as much gas in, cause it's deformed.
I have 2010 screw with the 5.4 and just had the same problem. Mine acted like it didn't want to start directly after filling up and stumbled at idle when warm. I replaced the evap purge valve (about 100$) And it fixed the problem. Only took 5 mins to replace but my gas gauge still reads about 1/4 off because when the tank collapses it bends the rods that support it this giving faults reading.
Hope this helps
voiceman (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 AM
voiceman

Thumbs up Thanks for help with gas gauge issue

I COPIED AND PASTED INTO WORD AND WILL PRINT OFF

AWESOME TO SEE A REPLY SO QUICKLY

LET'S HOPE THEY CAN NARROW IT DOWN; AS I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO DEALER (IDIOTS & CON ARTISTS WITH WOMEN) NOT IMPRESSED
IT'S THE PRINCIPLE

WILL POST RESULTS WHEN THEY'RE IN - THANKS |& CHEERS

HOPING TO CONTACT FORD AND EXPLAIN TO THEM WHERE TO GO WHEN THEY HAVE PROBLEM INSTEAD OF 'ALL DATA' OR WHATEVER AUTO APP

UNTIL THEN

PS- USE CAPITALS - EASIER TO READ - NOT 'SHOUTING' lol
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Treekiller73
I have 2010 screw with the 5.4 and just had the same problem. Mine acted like it didn't want to start directly after filling up and stumbled at idle when warm. I replaced the evap purge valve (about 100$) And it fixed the problem. Only took 5 mins to replace but my gas gauge still reads about 1/4 off because when the tank collapses it bends the rods that support it this giving faults reading.
Hope this helps

Do you have a parts number for the purge valve? I'm not having much luck finding it. My truck seems to struggle to idle when almost empty. Wondering if it's a tank pressure issue.

Thanks
voiceman (09-18-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.fordparts.com/Default.aspx?gnav=nav:home

Just enter vin and search
voiceman (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 AM
voiceman

Arrow Update - gas gauge issue - problem narrowed down

We stopped by our local small town garage who were diagnosing the problem.

Hooked it up to all of their (same) equipment as FORD - nothing

Time for 'Old School' techniques (before computers)

They tested every wire connector and wire from the gas tank up to the dash
.. the problem is somewhere behind DASH
Gas Gauge Itself?
Out comes the dash this morning
ANY and ALL suggestions as to what you figure the culprit is behind the dash causing all the problems (cluster-instrument panel?)

Wanted to keep everyone up to date

Will check forum or email when I get back from morning workout and swim
(2 hours+) ... need to go Lowe's and pu stuff for house.

Hope to find some ideas/pictures of what YOU think the problem is

Thanks - Have a good day

Voiceman
aka-Gary
Old 09-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

I think you already got the answer amigo, but it's your money and your dash they are tearing up. Me, I would have spent the 100 bucks on the evap purge valve, which is known to be an issue concerning running, idling, and refueling on our trucks, before I took it to a mom n pop place to diagnose. How do they figure something in the dash causes your pump to shut off early? My money is on a tank vent issue.

Everything is computer controlled, pcm, smart junction box, etc. etc.
voiceman (09-13-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ji603
I think you already got the answer amigo, but it's your money and your dash they are tearing up. Me, I would have spent the 100 bucks on the evap purge valve, which is known to be an issue concerning running, idling, and refueling on our trucks, before I took it to a mom n pop place to diagnose. How do they figure something in the dash causes your pump to shut off early? My money is on a tank vent issue.

Everything is computer controlled, pcm, smart junction box, etc. etc.
Yes!!!! Well said. Evap tank valve also common problem on other vehicles too.
voiceman (09-13-2014)

Quick Reply: Surprise - 2009 F-150 Gas Gauge Issue