Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions/advice/input for a mod of mine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Suggestions/advice/input for a mod of mine

I have a plain jane 2014 STX, so as you can expect, there's not much to the inside of the cab at all. To remedy this, I'd like to add my own custom touch. I'm a software engineer, so I tinker with microcontrollers and micro computers a lot, which gave me an idea.

Namely, I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi 2 w/ 4.3" Resistive Touch Screen ( can use anything to press the buttons ) to control my Auxillary lights ( Reverse lights, light bars ), view an added backup camera, and control LED light strips inside the cab. After seeing a few iPad builds/mods, I noticed people were using the left cubby to house the 4.2" MyFord screen. I'd like to do something similar there, but to retain some function of the cubby, I'd like to offset it a bit and have it raised/lowered a bit to slide things like a phone into the cubby.

The trick here, is where I can hide the extensive amounts of wiring without destroying the dash too much, if at all. I plan to hide the Raspberry Pi 2 ( it's about the size of a credit card 1" tall, in the center console with a USB power cord and a case.

A note, however, is I'm still trying to figure out how to control LED light bars and lights using the 3.3V signal from the Pi. I know I'll need a relay control, but I want the Pi to act as the switch compared to a physical switch. Any advice is appreciated.

Once I can get all the wiring figured out, I was going to write software that allows me to handle all of the controls I mentioned, as well as allow for a Bluetooth remote control from my phone so I can have a "remote" when I want to control lights outside the truck.

If anyone is interested or has questions, please feel free to let me know. Once I get the plan done, I'll start a build log so everyone can see what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it. And once the software is done, it will be freely available with instructions on how to change things to map to different lights as well as wiring diagrams if anyone wants them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help you may be able to provide. I'm a novice when it comes to truck modding, but I'm a professional Software engineer and decent at small scale electronics, but controlling Light bars and the like is beyond me.

Also, a second note, the 4.3" touch screen is not a requirement, but a preference. In theory, any size touch screen will work.

EDIT: I guess it should be noted that the touch screen will only have an HDMI cable and USB cable connected to the PI. What I really need help with is the wiring to the center console where the Pi will be. If anyone has any suggestions for alternative locations, I'd appreciate those as well. I just figured there was plenty of space and it was out of sight, so it'd stay decently cool regardless of outside temperature, and does not need cooling as it's passively cooled.

Last edited by vitafortis; 12-29-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Forgot details.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Default Pi project - a couple thoughts...

Hi.

Sounds like a very nice project!

Just a couple of notes, if I may:

- To minimize wiring in the dash, what about having the 'primary' Pi simply communicate with a 'secondary' Pi, located with all of the interfaces, switching, connections, etc ( e.g behind/under rear seat or similar). Only a couple small cable to contend with then in the dash mount area.

Rear cab wall makes a great place to consolidate all of the other components; terminal steips, power wiring, fuse holders, electronics, relays, FET circuit boards, etc, etc. Many folks use the area as home base for audio installs - lots of room to mount a plywood baseboard. A lot easier to access & work on to troubleshoot, upgrade, etc instead of behind /under the dash as well.

- As for power control - you can use the Pi output to trigger the gates on power FETs, which then can either drive the loads directly or in turn drive an ISO relay of suitable capacity, if your FET rating isn't large enough. Depends on your specific loads.

This is, in fact, the OEM method used on the newer trucks for many high power switching tasks. Refer to the schematic in Post # 2 of this thread as an example:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/led-h...apping-317871/

Don't mind me - just thinkin' out loud, lol.

Good luck!

Cheers
MGD

Originally Posted by vitafortis
I have a plain jane 2014 STX, so as you can expect, there's not much to the inside of the cab at all. To remedy this, I'd like to add my own custom touch. I'm a software engineer, so I tinker with microcontrollers and micro computers a lot, which gave me an idea.

Namely, I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi 2 w/ 4.3" Resistive Touch Screen ( can use anything to press the buttons ) to control my Auxillary lights ( Reverse lights, light bars ), view an added backup camera, and control LED light strips inside the cab. After seeing a few iPad builds/mods, I noticed people were using the left cubby to house the 4.2" MyFord screen. I'd like to do something similar there, but to retain some function of the cubby, I'd like to offset it a bit and have it raised/lowered a bit to slide things like a phone into the cubby.

The trick here, is where I can hide the extensive amounts of wiring without destroying the dash too much, if at all. I plan to hide the Raspberry Pi 2 ( it's about the size of a credit card 1" tall, in the center console with a USB power cord and a case.

A note, however, is I'm still trying to figure out how to control LED light bars and lights using the 3.3V signal from the Pi. I know I'll need a relay control, but I want the Pi to act as the switch compared to a physical switch. Any advice is appreciated.

Once I can get all the wiring figured out, I was going to write software that allows me to handle all of the controls I mentioned, as well as allow for a Bluetooth remote control from my phone so I can have a "remote" when I want to control lights outside the truck.

If anyone is interested or has questions, please feel free to let me know. Once I get the plan done, I'll start a build log so everyone can see what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it. And once the software is done, it will be freely available with instructions on how to change things to map to different lights as well as wiring diagrams if anyone wants them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help you may be able to provide. I'm a novice when it comes to truck modding, but I'm a professional Software engineer and decent at small scale electronics, but controlling Light bars and the like is beyond me.

Also, a second note, the 4.3" touch screen is not a requirement, but a preference. In theory, any size touch screen will work.

EDIT: I guess it should be noted that the touch screen will only have an HDMI cable and USB cable connected to the PI. What I really need help with is the wiring to the center console where the Pi will be. If anyone has any suggestions for alternative locations, I'd appreciate those as well. I just figured there was plenty of space and it was out of sight, so it'd stay decently cool regardless of outside temperature, and does not need cooling as it's passively cooled.
The following users liked this post:
vitafortis (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi.

Sounds like a very nice project!

Just a couple of notes, if I may:

- To minimize wiring in the dash, what about having the 'primary' Pi simply communicate with a 'secondary' Pi, located with all of the interfaces, switching, connections, etc ( e.g behind/under rear seat or similar). Only a couple small cable to contend with then in the dash mount area.

Rear cab wall makes a great place to consolidate all of the other components; terminal steips, power wiring, fuse holders, electronics, relays, FET circuit boards, etc, etc. Many folks use the area as home base for audio installs - lots of room to mount a plywood baseboard. A lot easier to access & work on to troubleshoot, upgrade, etc instead of behind /under the dash as well.

- As for power control - you can use the Pi output to trigger the gates on power FETs, which then can either drive the loads directly or in turn drive an ISO relay of suitable capacity, if your FET rating isn't large enough. Depends on your specific loads.

This is, in fact, the OEM method used on the newer trucks for many high power switching tasks. Refer to the schematic in Post # 2 of this thread as an example:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/led-h...apping-317871/

Don't mind me - just thinkin' out loud, lol.

Good luck!

Cheers
MGD
Hey, appreciate the response. I hadn't though much about the back wall or underseat area. I have a supercrew, and like having all the cargo space in the back for random **** I throw back there, so I was trying to keep the delicate electronics away from it.

Another option I could try is using the glove box. I'd lose a few inches of storage where I keep a flashlight, but it'd be able to access behind the dash to route lighting, would give me a way to hide everything, and I wouldn't interfere with everything. Also, makes it easy to route lights to say the bed any everything if I already have access to that area.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

My only thought is ease of access for modifications, functional additions/upgrades, troubleshooting and space to 'spread out' the system layout. Talking back wall here - no impact on under-seat storage.

It isn't any more difficult to route connections to/from this region given the plethora of routes available in the cab (door sills being one, various cab grommets another).

MGD
Old 12-29-2015, 10:22 AM
OG

Received 243 Likes on 194 Posts

Would the pi have the microcontroller abilities to even act as any kind of a switch for the lights? Most applications of this manner I see paired with an arduino or something of that nature. Or people use something like the beaglebone black, which has a hybrid board meant for both.

Anyway, I've never tore my dash apart yet on the F150, but most dash I've had experience with have more than enough space to hide both a pi and wiring.

Whatever you end up doing, please document. I have like 3 older pis collecting dust that need a purpose.

Also, it would be fun (once you get the logistical kinks worked out) to set up triggers on the pi, ie; auto-connect bluetooth on your phone triggers an event to turn on your lightbar or lights under the mirror to illuminate the area. Would be really interesting if you could interface this with something like the fortin remote start module to automatically start the vehicle on bluetooth connect. Could also use NFC for this.

Last edited by cmbezln; 12-29-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MGD
My only thought is ease of access for modifications, functional additions/upgrades, troubleshooting and space to 'spread out' the system layout. Talking back wall here - no impact on under-seat storage.

It isn't any more difficult to route connections to/from this region given the plethora of routes available in the cab (door sills being one, various cab grommets another).

MGD
If it's a nice day later today, I'll take a look and see how I'd mount everything. I'm just thinking of relative distance for the USB cord that controls the touchscreen and the HDMI that controls the display. Don't want 50ft long cords if I can avoid it.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by cmbezln
Would the pi have the microcontroller abilities to even act as any kind of a switch for the lights? Most applications of this manner I see paired with an arduino or something of that nature. Or people use something like the beaglebone black, which has a hybrid board meant for both.

Anyway, I've never tore my dash apart yet on the F150, but most dash I've had experience with have more than enough space to hide both a pi and wiring.

Whatever you end up doing it, please document. I have like 3 older pis collecting dust that need a purpose.
The GPIO on a Pi can be controlled using C/C++ to operate at a fast enough speed, and when paired with a relay board, it should work just fine. If not, I've paired a pi with an UNO to communicate over GPIO the pin number to activate, which should also work using a relay.

Once I get it all planned out, I'm going to start a build log with pictures showing everything, as well as alternatives, so anyone else can do it, as well as for reference on my Resume ( never hurts to have projects like this ).

I'm trying to keep costs low and use things I already have, including BT adapters, HDMI, USB, Relay boards, 4.3" touch screen, Uno's, etc.

I do also have beaglebone blacks that can be used as well. I have a plethora of things I could use to tinker in the truck with. If anyone has ideas for mods or neat things to try, let me know and I will.

Edit:
One of the things I do plan on doing ( just saw the rest of your post, thought it was a sig ) was maybe tapping into the lock/unlock button so I can have an emergency lock/unlock feature if I forget my keys, or lock them in. And if I can get a wiring diagram of the remote start, that it also a possibility. These are things I'd have to get wiring diagrams for, as well as voltage levels so I don't screw anything up. I'd like to practice the lock/unlock switch with one that's not on my truck, as chances are the first attempt will be wrong.

Last edited by vitafortis; 12-29-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 AM
OG

The GPIO on a Pi can be controlled using C/C++ to operate at a fast enough speed, and when paired with a relay board, it should work just fine. If not, I've paired a pi with an UNO to communicate over GPIO the pin number to activate, which should also work using a relay.

Once I get it all planned out, I'm going to start a build log with pictures showing everything, as well as alternatives, so anyone else can do it, as well as for reference on my Resume ( never hurts to have projects like this ).

I'm trying to keep costs low and use things I already have, including BT adapters, HDMI, USB, Relay boards, 4.3" touch screen, Uno's, etc.

I do also have beaglebone blacks that can be used as well. I have a plethora of things I could use to tinker in the truck with. If anyone has ideas for mods or neat things to try, let me know and I will.
Ah interesting, good to know. Most of what I know I've picked up watching Ben Heck's show (seriously great show), which isn't much haha.

Anyway, not sure if you saw my last edit, but for posterity:

it would be fun (once you get the logistical kinks worked out) to set up triggers on the pi, ie; auto-connect bluetooth on your phone triggers an event to turn on your lightbar or lights under the mirror to illuminate the area. Would be really interesting if you could interface this with something like the fortin remote start module to automatically start the vehicle on bluetooth connect. Could also use NFC for this.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM
OG

Edit:
One of the things I do plan on doing ( just saw the rest of your post, thought it was a sig ) was maybe tapping into the lock/unlock button so I can have an emergency lock/unlock feature if I forget my keys, or lock them in. And if I can get a wiring diagram of the remote start, that it also a possibility. These are things I'd have to get wiring diagrams for, as well as voltage levels so I don't screw anything up. I'd like to practice the lock/unlock switch with one that's not on my truck, as chances are the first attempt will be wrong.
How would you activate the lock/unlock feature, phone to pi?

That would definitely be an nice feature. I've always wanted to see someone smarter than myself implement some home-automation-esque features into their vehicle, and with something like the pi, there shouldn't really be anything off limits.

Hell, that geohot kid created a self driving car using simple electronics and linux in a day (may have even used a pi for it). I hope things like this start to gain traction.
The following users liked this post:
06humbleRstage1.5 (01-04-2016)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cmbezln
Ah interesting, good to know. Most of what I know I've picked up watching Ben Heck's show (seriously great show), which isn't much haha.

Anyway, not sure if you saw my last edit, but for posterity:

it would be fun (once you get the logistical kinks worked out) to set up triggers on the pi, ie; auto-connect bluetooth on your phone triggers an event to turn on your lightbar or lights under the mirror to illuminate the area. Would be really interesting if you could interface this with something like the fortin remote start module to automatically start the vehicle on bluetooth connect. Could also use NFC for this.

I don't know much about that show, but I'll check it out.

In response to your edit, here's my edit after I saw yours.

Quick Reply: Suggestions/advice/input for a mod of mine