Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default State emissions

What's the difference between 50 state compliant and not?
I`m looking at one and it does not say 50 state emissions on the sticker.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

California is strict. It's usually 50 state, or 49 state.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like WA state has the same requirements
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 503PDX
California is strict. It's usually 50 state, or 49 state.
NY has now followed our dumb asses. CA is just plain stupid with emissions.

I love voodoo doughnuts
Old 02-19-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm, it seems to me that when I bought new catilytic converters for my M3 online my options were either 50 state or 49 state? That was almost 2 years ago however.. In california you cant have many aftermarket exhaust systems or intakes exc... Cops will pull you over and make you pop your hood and fine you. Not to say you cant buy aftermarket engine parts, but for BMW atleast it seems Dinan is the only ones that are carb compliant, and Dinan is wayyy expensive.. being the factory performance line. California seems to set the bar for emissions for everyone. I sell construction equipment, diesel generators, plate compactors and what not and once california makes a move on what meets emission requirments, the manufacturers follow because california makes up a large market of sales. If its good enough for Californai its good enough for the rest of the US..
Old 02-20-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by sigma pi
NY has now followed our dumb asses. CA is just plain stupid with emissions.

I love voodoo doughnuts
You obviously 1-weren't around in the 70's to remember just how bad California's air was. 2-don't care about breathing decent air (I say "decent", because living in the LA area means you breathe the worst air quality in the state - but it's still better than it used to be)

Back in the early 70's the Bay Area's air quality was on par with LA's. Not anymore. Do I like submitting to the rules? Who does? But I sure like being able to breathe cleaner air.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 AM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

In california you cant have many aftermarket exhaust systems or intakes exc... Cops will pull you over and make you pop your hood and fine you.
Errrr no. You can have any aftermarket exhaust as long as you keep your cats and you can have any intake as long as it's carb certified. Which almost all intakes are.

Last edited by buster096; 02-20-2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

In california you cant have many aftermarket exhaust systems or intakes exc... Cops will pull you over and make you pop your hood and fine you.
For a "503er" from PDX (Portland, OR), you seem to know a lot about California SMOG II laws...

For one, I WISH they would pull people over for modified exhaust!!! That would take all the illegally (and loud) piped Hardly Dangerous motorcycles off the road. I would love it (not a bike hater, I've ridden now for over 40 years myself).

Next, the LEOs can't pull you over for it unless it has caused a traffic issue somehow. The emissions laws governing equipment are known as "passive laws". They can only be ticketed subsidiary to a moving violation or similar offense.

As was mentioned, if an aftermarket item or modification has a registered C.A.R.B. certification/EPA registration number, you're good to go.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by STingray1300
You obviously 1-weren't around in the 70's to remember just how bad California's air was. 2-don't care about breathing decent air (I say "decent", because living in the LA area means you breathe the worst air quality in the state - but it's still better than it used to be)

Back in the early 70's the Bay Area's air quality was on par with LA's. Not anymore. Do I like submitting to the rules? Who does? But I sure like being able to breathe cleaner air.
Stationary was a big contributor back then. They have been cleaned up just like cars have been.

So you are saying CA does not have stupid emissions laws? Half of it is an extortion racket.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:03 PM

Hmm, it seems to me that when I bought new catilytic converters for my M3 online my options were either 50 state or 49 state? That was almost 2 years ago however.. In california you cant have many aftermarket exhaust systems or intakes exc... Cops will pull you over and make you pop your hood and fine you. Not to say you cant buy aftermarket engine parts, but for BMW atleast it seems Dinan is the only ones that are carb compliant, and Dinan is wayyy expensive.. being the factory performance line. California seems to set the bar for emissions for everyone. I sell construction equipment, diesel generators, plate compactors and what not and once california makes a move on what meets emission requirments, the manufacturers follow because california makes up a large market of sales. If its good enough for Californai its good enough for the rest of the US..
Because all cats have to be CARB certified. Then randomly CARB will say everything has to get re certified and that makes a huge back log and you have to pay $XX,XXX to get it re certified. Then you get your EO number.

CA set the standards, then sued the federal gov., there went my tax dollars.

Quick Reply: State emissions