Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker questions

I am planning to replace my stock speakers soon, and had a few questions. This is for a 2010 supercrew XLT with standard stereo, sirius & sync. I don't really want to put in an amp, I want to run speakers off the stock system... also, I don't need it loud, I just want it to sound good. and it needs decent bass (think classic hard rock and 80's metal), but not subwoofer bass.

First, I noticed that I get a lot of sound and bass from the front speakers (although it is muddy), but not so much from the rear. Are the front speakers different than the rear? Or is this just an effect of the placement and smaller grill size in the rear?

If the front's are better than the rear speakers, I'll probably move the front speakers to the rear. For the fronts, I was thinking to get Pioneer Premier TS-D802P speakers. Anyone have experience with these? They apparantly don't fit in the rear, but thats probably OK... I'll just run stock speakers in the rear since I can't hear much from them. That's my plan... any advice or suggestions for changes? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM

I just replaced all 4 speakers in my 09 (same as yours).

The OEM speakers have wizzer cones. They don't sound great. However, they do make more bass than any aftermarket replacement speaker. Due to design.

The front and rear speakers are different, due to the foam seal on them. Otherwise they are exactly the same driver and sound the same. It's simply the location that causes the difference you hear. I put Bostons in my 09 and the situation is the same. More bass in front.

Again, due to OEM speaker design, you will lose bass when you put aftermarket 6x8 replacements in. Due, in part to smaller cone area and cone compliance. (the OEM paper cones are very light and free to move) and therefore produce all sorts of muddy bass.

I am, in fact, disappointed with my system. It has many "issues", not the least of which is lack of power and fidelity. I hate the fact that when the volume goes up, the bass level goes down.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Search the Audio section of this site. There is some information and suggestions on speakers.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM

I changed all the speakers in my truck and it still sounds like crap, some have said its an issue with the head unit not making amps to push the speakers.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM

1sweet09fx4, What speakers did you try? The kenwood 6x8's that are about $50/pair seem real popular, but that seems a little cheap for good speakers. People complain about bass on bostons. I was pretty happy with infinity kappa 5x7's in my '02 except they were very bright and a bit lacking on bass. I was hoping that the amp in the stock deck didn't get worse since '02! Those Pioneers are on my Xmas list so I have plenty of time to think about it...
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Put the Pioneer TS-D802P front and rear in my 09 screw, no issues fitting. Sounds great with stock xlt h/u and 4ch. amp.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Resident Dinosaur

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

A Couple years ago when I switched out the speakers in my 89 I used JBLs (better then comparable Infinity and Pioneer at the time) and it sounds incredible. I listen to the same kind of music you do, and its awesome. The bass comes through really really clean, you can hear every tap of the snare drum and precise vocals. Just make sure the speakers you get are 3way or 4way (2 or 3 tweeters, woofer). My JBL (GTO Series) crank up really loud with no distortion on my high end Sony deck, but also sounded great playing Dolby Chrome (CrO2 coated tape, hifi) Cassettes from the factory head unit and it was still incredible. That old school Ford factory amp really shines with these. These speakers were $200+ on Crutchfield but I picked them up new Wholesale on Ebay for $45 buy it now. Thats my tip, buy on eBay.

(I have the JBL GTO637s)

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sweet09fx4
I changed all the speakers in my truck and it still sounds like crap, some have said its an issue with the head unit not making amps to push the speakers.
get an amp.. Did it today! Great buy! Rockford has a nice 300w 4way amp in their prime line from 129-200 bucks! Well worth it!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 AM

Infinity referances speakers, guy at best buy said they where the best all around speakers. How you hook an amp to the factory hu, theres no pre outs for the amp. How did you wire to each speaker? Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM

you use a loc which is a line our converter only 20 dollars at any audio store

Quick Reply: Speaker questions