Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speaker Comparison

I just bought four Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6x8 3-way speakers from Crutchfield. I installed the rear speakers today (before the rain came down and forced me inside). When I compare the Rockford Fosgates in the rear and the Factory speakers in the front, the rear speakers seem to need more volume and bass from the head unit. They don't sound bad, just not as much volume or bass response as I expected. Can anyone tell me why this is? And, will it change once I put the P1683s up front??

Thanks!
Jay
------------------------
2009 FX4 SCrew
Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Guns & Gears

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheaper quality speakers are designed to be driven with less power because they are just not as good. Better speakers require more power but the sound quality is better than the cheaper speakers.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Architect

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Wykd is correct. The sensitivity of those 6x8's is probably in the 90db range... the stock speakers are a bit higher. What you get with the aftermarket drivers is headroom, the ability to use more power without creating distortion.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpeg73
I just bought four Rockford Fosgate Punch P1683 6x8 3-way speakers from Crutchfield. I installed the rear speakers today (before the rain came down and forced me inside). When I compare the Rockford Fosgates in the rear and the Factory speakers in the front, the rear speakers seem to need more volume and bass from the head unit. They don't sound bad, just not as much volume or bass response as I expected. Can anyone tell me why this is? And, will it change once I put the P1683s up front??

Thanks!
Jay
------------------------
2009 FX4 SCrew
I bet the factory are a lower impedence
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I am having the same issue. I have the crossovers still connected, but I am going to try and hook them up straight in and see if that changes. My Infinity speakers are 94db sensitivity, so you would think they were more efficient. It could be that the factory speakers are just tuned to the head unit..
Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here, changed all 4 to kicker 6x8's and they do sound better but still not powerful enough. Has anyone added an amp to the factory headunit? I don't want to change the look but also don't want engine noise.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies! I may be outside replacing the front speakers tonight... I can't wait to hear the difference, but I have a feeling I'm now in the market for a sub. Maybe a powered bazooka?? But, where to mount it? I leave the passenger side bench down for my 6 year old's booster seat. The driver side bench stays up 99.9% of the time, and has a mobile ham radio unit mounted to the bottom. But, I don't think there's enough clearance for a Bazooka tube under the rear seat.

Jay

------------------------
2009 FX4 SCrew
Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Guns & Gears

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pass on the powered sub. If your fixing to replace the front speakers also just pony up a little more cash and get a nice 5 channel amp. This way you can power all 4 speakers and have power to push a sub some what if you want.

Normally I would only power a sub or run 1 amp dedicated to the subs and 1 to the speakers but in a truck I think you will get enuff juice out of a multi channel amp to cover your desire to have clarity and some volume.

We just put a mb quartz 5 channel from the onyx line of amps into my bro's suv. it pushes everything nicely. I think it has 4 channels @ 80w plus the sub channel at 500w. Just enuff to the speakers to give it a little volume and thump from the sub. It will not rattle the paint of the car but sounds nice.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wykd
I would pass on the powered sub. If your fixing to replace the front speakers also just pony up a little more cash and get a nice 5 channel amp. This way you can power all 4 speakers and have power to push a sub some what if you want.

Normally I would only power a sub or run 1 amp dedicated to the subs and 1 to the speakers but in a truck I think you will get enuff juice out of a multi channel amp to cover your desire to have clarity and some volume.

We just put a mb quartz 5 channel from the onyx line of amps into my bro's suv. it pushes everything nicely. I think it has 4 channels @ 80w plus the sub channel at 500w. Just enuff to the speakers to give it a little volume and thump from the sub. It will not rattle the paint of the car but sounds nice.
I suddenly see myself doing a lot more audio work this weekend. Does the factory head unit have pre-amp outs?

------------------------
2009 FX4 SCrew
Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont know which factory unit you have Sony Nav? THe factory head unit has no pre outs so you have to get a hi/lo converter. Or a couple companies sell adpater harness's that have pre-outs. The factory speakers have a 2 ohm rating and the aftermarket speakers are almost all 4 ohm. They dont need as much power to drive them however they dont play as loud either. A 5 channel amp is the way to fly as space is limited but I have seen a couple very nice two amp setups. I would also do seperates up front and order Sony Nav tweeter pods for the front to match the color of your truck.... But thats me.....

Quick Reply: Speaker Comparison