Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug and cylinder condition. What's your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spark plug and cylinder condition. What's your thoughts?

I don't want to lead anyone towards a certain mindset with what my truck may or may not be doing, so I'll just post the specs of my truck and a couple pictures, and I'd like opinions as to what may be the issue.

2014 F150 5.0
4x4 Supercrew
3.55, 53,xxx
Completely stock
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02 PM

Old 06-19-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Plug looks fine to me. Some may say that it looks like a lean burn, but I think the ethanol and detergents in fuel today give the plugs a little more brown than the grey they used to have. Nearly every (good running) vehicle spark plug I’ve checked in the last 10-15 years looks like yours.
Small engines are a different story because I strictly run non-oxy and zero ethanol fuel. With the proper jetting and settings, the plugs will be slightly grey.
I can’t say much about your other picture, possible carbon from direct injection? May need more info to tell.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Ditto on the plug. The piston however looks like it's rusting in the block. Head gasket leak?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks identical to the ones I just changed on my 14. Buddy at the dealership said it’s normal. I thought I had a miss so I changed them. Still have the shudder/miss every now and again, but at least I can rule out plugs.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are my six I just changed this weekend. Truck has 97k but no clue on the plug age. They were all around .035 gap. I had a slight miss at idle you could feel. now it is so smooth.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Basically, I've noticed a considerable drop in fuel mileage over the last 10,000 miles or so (16.5 to 13.5 hand calc). I dropped in some Techron injector cleaner and have always tried to steer clear of cheap gas. Changed air filter, make sure tires are well inflated and balanced. No modifications, so I figured I'd check the plugs. The plug and piston are from the front passenger position. Plug was gaped properly, but I was concerned about the color, as well as the sediment in the plug shaft and the color of the piston. When I checked this, I also saw that I was well below full on my oil level. I had about 5-6k on the current oil, so I decided to change it and watch for any drop. I've got about 4k on this round and oil is keeping level.

With all this, I'm still not seeing my old numbers. I'm trying to figure out if I have an issue with the engine and the color of the plug and such. I'm not losing coolant, so I wouldn't think it's a head gasket. It's not idling rough or missing. The only difference I could possibly think of that's different from other times is that the fans go into high speed more often than they used to. I get that it's hot, but I've never had my fans spin up so high for so long, but
again the coolant level is good.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Perhaps that's just from burning all the byproducts of the PCV system?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

The color of the piston head might be due to the camera, might not be the actual color due to light diffraction.
You will need to take a picture with a light equipped bore-scope to get a true color picture.

Your plugs look normal for your mileage and the oil look clean, no sign of coolant.

The drop in MPG might be due to a lot of factors, to many to go thru here. If you are truly worried about your engine, take it to a dealer and have them take a look, the peace of mind might be worth the $125 diagnostics fee, especially since you are still in your 5year/60k miles powertrian warranty, and if they find anything, then can fix it at no charge to you.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 PM

I just finished checking every plug for proper gap. Each one was at .055+. Adjusted each one back to .049. Got a full tank, tires are checked, and air filter is clean. We'll see how well she does over the next week or so.

Each plug was consistent in color, with no questionable fluid, so I've got going for me, which is nice.

Quick Reply: Spark plug and cylinder condition. What's your thoughts?