Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart junction box

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart junction box

I bought a new 2012 f150 5.0 crew cab on nov14. On 18 nov while it was sitting in my driveway with 72 miles on it it had no electrical power at all, except the power seat and mirrors worked. No gauges, lights, or anything worked, couldn't even shift it out of park. Had it towed to local dealer and after a week they said they replaced the smart junction box and that fixed it.
I called Ford twice and e-mailed them trying to get a rental car with no success. After I got the truck back a Ford rep called me to say he was sorry for the inconvience. To show his good will he offered me free oil changes for as long as I owned the truck or a five year 100,000 mile extended warranty free of charge. I took the warranty. That made me think a little better about Ford Motor Co.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by grish
I bought a new 2012 f150 5.0 crew cab on nov14. On 18 nov while it was sitting in my driveway with 72 miles on it it had no electrical power at all, except the power seat and mirrors worked. No gauges, lights, or anything worked, couldn't even shift it out of park. Had it towed to local dealer and after a week they said they replaced the smart junction box and that fixed it.
I called Ford twice and e-mailed them trying to get a rental car with no success. After I got the truck back a Ford rep called me to say he was sorry for the inconvience. To show his good will he offered me free oil changes for as long as I owned the truck or a five year 100,000 mile extended warranty free of charge. I took the warranty. That made me think a little better about Ford Motor Co.
yeah that's pretty good of them. i would take the warrenty too. all these electrical things could get expensive. and u never know when something electrical will fail. i have 6 year 110,000km on mine.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 PM
rkf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smart Junction Box

I have a "Smart Junction Box" issue as well. I have a 2012 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew - Lariat trim w/ EcoBoost. It took the dealer quite a while to diagnose as the problem (not running) was intermittent. Other than that I love the truck. The the part has finally arrived after a VERY LONG WAIT(nearly 3 months!). I have uploaded a photo of the old one. Pretty intimidating. They are installing it now. I hope it works . . .
Attached Thumbnails Smart junction box-smart-junction-box-small.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
rkf

The smart junction box transplant operation appears to have been a success. My truck and I are reunited. The dealership had me in a free loaner F-150 for the three months and fixed a small scratch on my truck. Ford gave me a 3 yr paid maintenance plan as well as some cash. I'm happy with Ford again. . . .
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

I've been battling a blown fuse issue for a while now. The fuse controls the map lights, but they still work when the door is open. Anyways, the dealer diagnosed the issue as the "smart junction block". Is this the whole rats nest pictured above or is it just a single component? He wanted $550 parts and labor to change it.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
rkf

Default Pretty "Smart" indeed

I believe the whole rat's nest is indeed the "Smart Junction Box". The wires go everywhere, so I imagine the labor bill will be impressive. I had to wait 3 months for the part, I hope you have better luck. It's been well over a year now since the transplant and all is still well.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by rkf
I believe the whole rat's nest is indeed the "Smart Junction Box". The wires go everywhere, so I imagine the labor bill will be impressive. I had to wait 3 months for the part, I hope you have better luck. It's been well over a year now since the transplant and all is still well.
Yeah! If you look on the drivers side in to the box it looks like teh spaghetti factory exploded in there

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2016, 11:46 AM

Default Rats Nest Location?

Originally Posted by rkf
I have a "Smart Junction Box" issue as well. I have a 2012 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew - Lariat trim w/ EcoBoost. It took the dealer quite a while to diagnose as the problem (not running) was intermittent. Other than that I love the truck. The the part has finally arrived after a VERY LONG WAIT(nearly 3 months!). I have uploaded a photo of the old one. Pretty intimidating. They are installing it now. I hope it works . . .
Do you know where the SJB was located on your truck? I own a 2013 F150 SuperCrew - Lariat w/Echoboost with a passenger side blinker and brake light problem. The front and mirror blinkers work fine, blink very fast, but nothing in the rear of the truck is working, besides the parking lights and backup lights. I've swapped bulbs and fuses around, but no luck. And,from the looks of it and the time it will take to replace the SJB, I hope that is not my problem.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Pretty sure it's in the passenger side kick plate, it has a fuse box as part of system.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:18 AM

Default 2013 F150 SJB Location

Originally Posted by santa06
Pretty sure it's in the passenger side kick plate, it has a fuse box as part of system.
I'm thinking that it is the power distribution box (PDB), located in the engine compartment and is nolonger referred to as the
Smart Junction Box (SJB). Also, since I last posted, I've realized that my power (gas and brake) pedals are nolonger
adjustable or working, along with the rear window defroster. The problem(s) seem to be getting worst.

Last edited by davebry; 04-18-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Smart junction box