Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She's going into the Dealership this morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default She's going into the Dealership this morning

I've own my 2011 F150 for 3 months now. (Scab/EB/4x4/3:73) No doubt it's a nice truck to drive, and will spoil a guy quickly. I've been having some issues since delivery, and have had others crop up along the way. It's taken nearly three weeks to get an appointment, but today it will be going into the dealership for the following:

1. MISS/STUTTER AT IDLE: This issue has been present since taking delivery of the vehicle. At first it was only present at a cold start. It now occurs whether the engine is cold or warm…in Park, Drive, or reverse. At idle, the tach needle flutters, the engine sound changes, and you can physically feel/see the truck intermittently shutter. (2ND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)

2. VERY POOR MPG: The best MPG I have been able to achieve has been 16mpg on the highway…this occurred while driving on flat/level ground, at 64 mph in Alberta, Canada. The best I have been able to achieve “in town” has been 14mpg….and that is while driving the truck as GENTLY as possible, and still keeping it moving forward. (SECOND TIME TRUCK HAS BEEN IN FOR THIS ISSUE)

3. TRANSMISSION/ SHIFTING: 1-2 Upshift AND 2-1 down shift , and 5-4 UP AND DOWN shifts are randomly very hard/violent or “mushy” as if the tranny is searching for the gear. With very light throttle, the 1-2 up shift is randomly VERY hard, with a random loud “clank” that can be heard/felt throughout the vehicle. The 2-1 down shift “stutters”. 5-4 downshift and up shifts do not produce noise, but sometimes the shift is violent, and other times it seems like the transmission is “searching” for the gear.

4. RADIO/CLIMATE CONTROLS/DISPAYS GOING “WACKY”: On 30 June, I was pulling onto I-15 northbound, from 10th Ave. South. Speed was approx 45mph….the radio volume started slowing going up…to maximum. None of the radio or other environmental control would work. When the radio volume indicator reached it’s maximum, all indicators on the radio screen changed to what appeared to be dual climate control indicators (this vehicle DOES NOT have dual climate controls), with two temp readouts, with the fan indicators on full, and the outside temp indicator read 00F. Again, none of the radio or environmental control would operate/work. I pulled over, shut off the truck, restarted it, and everything was normal again…it has not happened again since. (A/C was NOT on, windows where open, and I was driving normally (gently). UPDATE: On 12 July I was making a slow left hand turn (15 mph)..the radio started cutting out, then went out totally, and the Display went totally blank (all LEDs went out). I hit a small bump about 50 yards down the road, the radio cut in and out a few times, then everything started working again.
UPDATE: On 19 Jul: Driving slowly on a side street (less than 10mph) I made a slow left hand turn….the radio sound went out, then a few seconds later, the entire LED display went out…when I hit a small bump about 10 seconds later, everything came back on.

5. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHING 3X: On 5 July I was traveling at 35mph on the Northwest bypass, flat/level ground. The “Check Engine” indicator flashed three times then went out.
UPDATE: On 8 July, the “Check Engine” light flashed 3X then went out. This time I was traveling at 40 mph on flat level ground (Northwest Bypass)
UPDATE: On 13 July the “Check Engine” light flashed again. This time I only caught two flashes, but it MIGHT have been more. The light went out and everything seemed normal.I was traveling at 35mph, east bound on 10th Ave South.

6. “BELL TONE” SOUNDING FOR NO REASON: On the return trip on 5 July (see #5), in the same general area (approx 10 mins later), The “bell tone” (like opening the door with the key in the ignition) went off 3 times for what seemed like no reason. (doors were closed, my seatbelt was in place, with speed and terrain as described in #5) No further instances have occurred to date.

8. UPDATE SYNC TO LATEST VERSION: SYNC unit upgrade to version 3.2.2. Refer to bulletin number 11-06-09. Currently SYNC often fails to recognized voice inputs, and very often the sound/prompts stutters. (I've tried downloading the update myself, with no success. After contacting Ford, they told me "please schedule an appointment with your dealership to install the update".)

The lousy MPG is on the verge of me regretting buying an EB. I have a few friends in town who purchased trucks similar to mine, and they are getting 17-19mpg in town, and 20+ on the highway.
More so, the issue with the electronics going "wacky" really worries me....all too often those are problems that are impossible to replicate, and generally go unrepaired until something major happens.
I'm expecting to be without my truck for a few days....we'll see.

I've also asked the Service Manager for a detailed report when things are complete. I'll come back and let everyone know how things turn out.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Can I make some suggestions? Make sure the Service guy rights it up exactly as you stated, this is very important! Keep accurate documents including dates, times and who you spoke with regarding any phone calls. Be persistent and don't settle on anything or even the perverbial "This is normal charateristics of this vehilce". I went through this and had many issues with my 2009 and filed for the "Lemon Law" and won my case. I won't go into details but I can answer any questions you have via PM. Heck, you can even call me if you want....

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM

If you don't feel satisfied with the dealership, I'd call Ford directly. In alot of cases Ford will take your vehicle back and make it their RAV (reacquired vehicle) and give you a brand new truck with all the same options. To my understanding RAV's were pretty 'popular' with the new Super Duty's when they had that exhaust issue.
In any instance, best of luck to you!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM

If you don't feel satisfied with the dealership, I'd call Ford directly. In alot of cases Ford will take your vehicle back and make it their RAV (reacquired vehicle) and give you a brand new truck with all the same options. To my understanding RAV's were pretty 'popular' with the new Super Duty's when they had that exhaust issue.
In any instance, best of luck to you!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 1-2 upshift issue but only when I am idling, through a parking lot or stop/go traffic for example, under normal acceleration all is fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 752 Likes on 623 Posts

I had issues with the check engine light staying on. One O2 sensor and 4 new injector's cured the problem. Tranny seem's like it's confused going through all 6 gear's and get's worse when the trans temp goes up. Not impressed with the 6 speed at all. Will bring it into the shop when I get a chance. Hope you get your problem's corrected.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM

Well, I took the truck in at 7:30am this morning, along with three copies of the Word.doc listing all the issues....gave one to the service writer, another to the service manager, and left the third on the passenger seat for the Tech, with a "sticky" note saying "If you have ANY questions or need any additional explanation...call: XXX-XXXX"

I spent about 30 minutes talking with the Service Manager, going over the list, and he assured me that if they did not find any "codes" related to the issues, he would be on the phone with Ford, seeking their help.
What he seemed most concerned about was the combination of the check engine light, and the electronics going "wacky".
It's nearly 3pm now, and I've not heard anything yet....maybe the truck will spend the night there..or more.
Honestly, if they get things figured out and corrected, time isn't really an issue. I'll take it one step at a time before going beyond the dealership....my Wife works there, and I don't want to stir the pot to the point where it gets her in trouble. So I'll have to give them every chance I can before escalating things. As long as I don't feel like I'm being jerked around, I'm pretty mellow, but once I get patronized or jerked around, then things change.

On the lighter side of the story, my Wife left this morning on a trip to Kentucky, and yesterday she told everyone at the dealership that she was leaving so she wasn't there when I was jumping up and down on the Service Manager's desk! (She was kidding of course, but I don't think the folks at the dealership were quite sure)
I'll let you folks know what transpires.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Architect

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Very interested... thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sold on those new auto trannies. Make a GOOD
four speed and have it over with!

Bring stick shift back on the F-150 also.

As far as MPG goes. It's funny when the price of gas goes up ALL the
car makes UP the MPG their cars and trucks get. It's time they sign on the dotted line that it REALLY does get the MPG their ads say it does within 3 MPG. I bet they will NEVER agree to that!

Last edited by RadioMan; 07-21-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: She's going into the Dealership this morning