Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Advance Trac Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Service Advance Trac Warning

2011 F150 5liter 85K. I have had two unusual clunks while in forward gear the past two weeks. Both occurred at very low almost start up speed. No warning light. Today it occurred again and the Service Advance Trac warning is now on. I am 220 miles from home and will be driving home tomorrow trailering a 19 foot boat, motor and trailer. What am I up against here?

I did a search and this is related at times to hard or sharp turns. Steering sensor related. The truck was turned sharply backing the trailer down into the boat launch.

Dennis

Last edited by WrestlingCoach; 05-17-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Knock on wood, this hasn't hit me. However, turning sharply in reverse seems to be a common scenario for the failure, from what I've been scared by....I mean, what I've read here.

Way out of warranty, unless you bought an extended one, I believe you're looking at about a $1400 repair bill. I'm sure guys who have had it happen to them will chime in with much better info.

Last edited by xlt-fx4; 05-17-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:18 PM

I do have the extended warranty plan. Thanks
Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had service advance trac come on at start up today. As well as Hill descent control fault, and have no power steering or turn signals. Mines a 2013 F150 Supercrew. I've been searching on and off today and can't seem to find a definitive answer to what the problem could be.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Well now that you mention it my turn signals were acting nuts at the same time until I shut the truck off and restarted it.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short 3 blink would work but if I push it all the way up, they they won't stay on.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Reelsport
The short 3 blink would work but if I push it all the way up, they they won't stay on.
Exactly! Well I am driving it home tomorrow with the boat in tow. I'll take it in to my dealer and follow up on here when I get it solved.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WrestlingCoach
Well now that you mention it my turn signals were acting nuts at the same time until I shut the truck off and restarted it.
this is brilliant, what genius engineer decided to disable a safety feature when your vehicle has a problem?!?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by RLucky82
this is brilliant, what genius engineer decided to disable a safety feature when your vehicle has a problem?!?
I'm sure it wasn't intentional....BUT....this is one of the things I dont like about these trucks, and most modern vehicles. They are getting too fancy and dependent on more and more complicated systems. Systems that are made up of components from the lowest bidders. When they fail, they often cause other features to no longer work because their operation is connected.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by RLucky82
I'm sure it wasn't intentional....BUT....this is one of the things I dont like about these trucks, and most modern vehicles. They are getting too fancy and dependent on more and more complicated systems. Systems that are made up of components from the lowest bidders. When they fail, they often cause other features to no longer work because their operation is connected.

I may be wrong, but in this case, our trucks don't have the traditional "cam" setup in the column to mechanically cancel the turn signals as the wheels return to center. It uses info from the front wheel angle sensors to know when the wheel is coming back to center, and electronically cancels the turn signal. So when this steering rack/sensor issue occurs, the turn signal function is no longer "communicating" with the front wheel position and won't allow the directionals to work unless you manually hold the stalk in the up/down position.

Quick Reply: Service Advance Trac Warning