Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat belt and parking brake release

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belt and parking brake release

Has anyone else noticed that if you put your seat belt on first and then reach down to release the parking brake the belt catches/locks preventing you from reaching further? I can just barely reach the brake release before the belt slack ends. I started releasing the brake before putting the belt on which is the opposite of what I have been doing in my chevy for the past 19 years.

Jim
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never set a parking brake on an automatic vehicle. My opinion would be on the new trucks the seat belt comes from pretty far back, on the rear door instead of the side beam or front seat, so theres not enough slack.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 PM

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I set my park brake any time IM on a hill. I have never had the problem with the seat belt stopping me from releasing the brake.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't have any issues but then again my arms are hung like an orangutan.

Too bad all the girls say I am hung like a smurf.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

try leaning forward a little slower. The faster you tug on the seatbelt, the better chance it will "lockup" on you in thinking you just go into an accident. It's the same thing when if you are on a bumpy road or driving a little crazy, it won't let you pull yourself forward then either.

fwiw, I always use the parking brake on a hill. It really saves on the parking pawl pin and the weird looks you get from people when you shift out of park with that much pressure on the transmission. Keep in mind, always set the parking brake in neutral and then let the truck settle onto the parking brakes before shifting into park, otherwise it doesn't help the "clunk" embarassment.

Also if you ever launch a boat, imagine how silly you could look sometime when you don't use your parking brake on a relatively steep incline with a ton of added weight and the "park" function fails and your whole rig rolls into the water. People will stand and laugh and think "parking brake on?"
Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same deal. Im 6'2" and I had to twist my body with the seat belt on to reach the lever. I thought it was the safty lock but now I know that it is just as long as the seat belt is. I set my brake every time I park it. My 08 F250 had plenty of belt to spare when I leaned forward for the parking brake release. Oh well
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also 6'2" and I have no problems.... as long as the seat belt doesn't lock up.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bothers me Ford makes you release a lever by hand. All the other Ford CARS I've had, have push-on, push-off parking brake. Much more user friendly. I can release the parking brake with my left foot while I have my hands occupied with other stuff. I'm constantly getting in the truck and jamming it on even more before remembering I have to release it by hand.

Quick Reply: seat belt and parking brake release