Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rpm surge when stopping. Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rpm surge when stopping. Help

Hello my truck is having an issue. When coming to a stop the rpms surge only a few hundred rpms it's like a throttle blip or rolling. It does this twice before a complete stop. When the rpms are at regular idle She is smooth. Truck is has been mitcusully mantained.
2010 F150 Lariat 120k
Full stainless exhaust,cold air intake
New plugs,oil all filters, pcv,Cleaned MAS, coolant all new
Only thing that is due for service soon is tranny fluid and filter
Other than that is runs perfect. Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

If you have the transmission selector in either Tow/Haul or Sport setting, the transmission will downshift when you apply the brakes, sometimes more than 1 gear. It will also downshift WITHOUT brake application if you are going down a long steep hill and the speed begins to rise. Perfectly normal for the both the 6R80 and the 10R80 units.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=icantdrive55;6164912]If you have the transmission selector in either Tow/Haul or Sport setting, the transmission will downshift when you apply the brakes, sometimes more than 1 gear. It will also downshift WITHOUT brake application if you are going down a long steep hill and the speed begins to rise. Perfectly normal for the both the 6R80 and the 10R80

I've read that but mine is doing this in regular drive mode not tow/haul. Dont think it's a downshift just a rolling in the rpms. At about 1500 and 1000 rpm
Old 02-15-2022, 04:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=Colby Klouda;6165610]
Originally Posted by icantdrive55
If you have the transmission selector in either Tow/Haul or Sport setting, the transmission will downshift when you apply the brakes, sometimes more than 1 gear. It will also downshift WITHOUT brake application if you are going down a long steep hill and the speed begins to rise. Perfectly normal for the both the 6R80 and the 10R80

I've read that but mine is doing this in regular drive mode not tow/haul. Dont think it's a downshift just a rolling in the rpms. At about 1500 and 1000 rpm
Old thread, I know...

But my 09 with the 5.4 does the same thing. I never noticed it until I put on a 3" MBRP cat back, now it's very noticeable. I've read that this could likely be a software issue that the dealership can quickly handle. The truck is perfect in every other way and this does not affect performance in any way. It also never stalls or comes close, just like the OP said above - it's like a throttle blip.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Foose; 02-15-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 04:09 PM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body ?
Electronic throttle bodies might do this when the get gunky.
Also, may just need a throttle body reset, sounds like it may be "hunting" for idle TPS zero
mine did this after I cleaned the throttle body, but returned to awesome after the "relearn"
Old 02-23-2022, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dustodustrider
Also, may just need a throttle body reset, sounds like it may be "hunting" for idle TPS zero
mine did this after I cleaned the throttle body, but returned to awesome after the "relearn"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxXM75zJOw
I have not tried this. It's currently -1* F outside so I'll just live with it for now, lol
Old 05-13-2022, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dustodustrider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNxXM75zJOw
Been a while, I know. But tried this last night and it didn't fix it. If anything it made it worse, or maybe I'm just too clued into it. I still have to replace the VTC solenoids and if that doesn't fix it, looks like a trip to the dealership is in order...
Old 07-18-2023, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Foose
Been a while, I know. But tried this last night and it didn't fix it. If anything it made it worse, or maybe I'm just too clued into it. I still have to replace the VTC solenoids and if that doesn't fix it, looks like a trip to the dealership is in order...
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you were ever able to resolve this issue. Thanx
Old 07-18-2023, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by cj250611
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you were ever able to resolve this issue. Thanx
Unfortunately no, I haven't solved it. Kinda just been ignoring it, to be honest. It seems to be doing it a little worse now that the weather is hot, but that might just be in my head.

Been waiting to recover from some other higher priority costs, I'll get it in to the dealership soon hopefully. I will report back.

Edit: yikes, can't believe I've been ignoring this for over a year, lol
The following users liked this post:
cj250611 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Foose
Unfortunately no, I haven't solved it. Kinda just been ignoring it, to be honest. It seems to be doing it a little worse now that the weather is hot, but that might just be in my head.

Been waiting to recover from some other higher priority costs, I'll get it in to the dealership soon hopefully. I will report back.

Edit: yikes, can't believe I've been ignoring this for over a year, lol
I've been having a similar issue for about a year. The engine builds revs slightly when coming to a stop like its trying to grade shift but I'm not in tow/haul mode or on a grade. I guess I'll start with some of makuluco's interventions. My buddy suggested I replace my brake booster but I don't want to start throwing parts at the situation until I investigate more. I hope you're able to nail it down, its been frustrating, but luckily I haven't experience any other drivability issues.

Quick Reply: Rpm surge when stopping. Help