Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Country Winch Plate and Winch

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rough Country Winch Plate and Winch

Today I installed the Rough Country Winch Plate and I also purchased their 12,000 lbs. synthetic rope winch. It's nicely tucked in the bumper and hidden out of sight. Their online installation video sold me: http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-f15...mount_1010.php

It doesn't look as bad-*** mean as the metal cable fairlead but I don't care. There were a couple of things in the video that were not correct for my 2013 F150:

1) I have a wind dam that attaches in the 3rd set of bolt holes that RC provides separate bolts for.

After some thought, I decided to keep the original wind dam and use the original bolts (since the RC provided bolts were too big to hold the wind dam). I doubt there would be any issue since the tow hook bolts are the main bolts holding the plate to the frame and I've still got a 3rd bolt, although not as thick as the RC bolts.

The RC plate went in easily and their video was excellent, far better than the instructions they provide!

2) The instructions for the winch itself are terrible and the video shows opening the control box to replace 4 screws with 4 longer screws - however RC only gives you 2 screws. So I used the 2 they supplied and 2 of the original and it worked out.

Also, when I opened the control box there was something rattling inside. It was a screw and nut together just loose and I had no idea where it went or why it was in there. In fact, the contents of the control box look like they are held together cheaply and they giggle slightly. In terms of quality, it's certainly not the same as the RC plate quality -- this looks like cheap Chinese parts and I am worried about durability. Maybe Rough Country needs to send me a new control box because the wireless remote control doesn't even work (see below)!

The control box took the longest time. After playing around inside the box I got those screws installed and attached the mounting plate which allows the control box to mount to the plastic frame surrounding the radiator.

Here's a shot of the RC winch plate installed before putting in the winch.

Also the video shows a slightly different mounting plate (the screw holes are in a different place) but that was no problem at all.

I put a blanket across the front of the truck so I wouldn't scratch the plastic bumper while installing the winch. It fit nicely in without having to remove the hood latch. As I said, the winch instructions are terrible and after lining up the winch with the tray bolt holes I realized I needed to install the bolt nuts into the bottom of the winch -- would have been nice if there were directions for any of this -- so the winch had to come out again. To keep the small nuts from sliding out when carrying and reinstalling the winch I used small pieces of tape (otherwise they could have fallen out). Again, the documentation about this doesn't exist. (I'm not talking about documentation on how to use a winch, I'm talking installation instructions.)

I was hesitant in purchasing the RC plate and winch because I didn't like the idea of having to open the hood to use the winch. Well, the winch comes with wired and also a wireless remote control. When I found out about the wireless remote control I ordered the whole kit! Well guys, guess what didn't work: the wireless remote control! The wired remote works fine, I have to open the hood to attach it and I guess I can slide the connector through one of the openings and then close it to operate the winch. I wonder what Rough Country will do about the wireless remote not working. I hope they help me, I'll be very disappointed otherwise.

I would certainly recommend Rouch Country's winch plate for the F150, they did a great job and the installation went well and quick. I'm not convinced on their winch, however, I will call them during the week and see what they say about the lose nut and bolt in the control box and the wireless remote not working.

I'll keep you guys posted on how Rough Country handles these issues.

Last edited by nullname; 05-04-2013 at 09:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by nullname:
BeastofBurden (11-12-2013), Half_ton (02-25-2014), LeGrand (07-13-2014), Raven2210 (02-25-2014)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 PM
SkallyWag

Received 113 Likes on 95 Posts

Nice write up I've been considering this myself
The following users liked this post:
nullname (05-06-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks a lot sleeker than what ive got lol. I too have the roughcountry hidden winch kit and did the same thing as you with keeping the original bolts because of the air dam. Only thing is i took the dam off because the weight lowered the front a bit and i'd bottom out every time im off the pavement, so its off now.. Still kept the third bolts as originals.. Hopefully it holds good when i have some major weight pullin. Also some hardware seemed to be missing.. Like for example, the 4 longer screws or whatever that were supposed to be including, there was only two. Fortunately the ones that were already on the box were long enough (harbor freight winch).
Overall the winch plate was great and really solid, so definitely if you can afford it go for it (for those that are considering it).
Old 05-04-2013, 10:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Def nice write up. I'm considering this as an option
nullname (05-06-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I did mine in an hour with no problems installing a Warn winch. I had steel cable and installed the roller fairlead. Nice tip from a Forum member for using mag light clips to attach license plate frame over roller fairlead.
Poor Eco Boost owners have to spend a pant-load to buy an aftermarket, relocated, intercooler in addition to the winch install kit.
Very nice $200 install for my 5.0.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher
I did mine in an hour with no problems installing a Warn winch. I had steel cable and installed the roller fairlead. Nice tip from a Forum member for using mag light clips to attach license plate frame over roller fairlead.
Poor Eco Boost owners have to spend a pant-load to buy an aftermarket, relocated, intercooler in addition to the winch install kit.
Very nice $200 install for my 5.0.

which warn winch did you get? wireless remote too?

I just pulled the trigger on getting the "1010" today.

even if I can't afford the winch just yet, i'll take it one step at a time.
in the mean time, when do get the mount, I've thought about just fabbing up a solid steel plate to bolt over the hole, just for looks.
jonsheritage04 (05-05-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Hi Guys,

Here's the update - spoke with Rough Country and they are immediately sending me out a new control box and wireless remote - they were extremely helpful on the phone. I'm really glad with the setup and like I said in my write up above, don't hesitate, order this setup from Rough Country, it's easy to install and they have great customer service.
USMC_0316_RAIDER (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by USMC_0316_RAIDER
Nice write up I've been considering this myself
Hey USMC I saw your post but had to work late and then forgot to reply. This is an easy to install and good product - the worst part for me was my back pain (sciatica nerve pain). Let me know how it goes!
USMC_0316_RAIDER (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by nullname
Hi Guys,

Here's the update - spoke with Rough Country and they are immediately sending me out a new control box and wireless remote - they were extremely helpful on the phone. I'm really glad with the setup and like I said in my write up above, don't hesitate, order this setup from Rough Country, it's easy to install and they have great customer service.

well, I just emailed dustin with rough country.

for some reason, I've got two shipping conformation emails today.. WITH TWO DIFFERENT SHIPPING NUMBERS.

does that mean, my visa is gonna get hit twice? should I expect two "1010"'s at my door soon?

I mean, I've only got one f150. lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by rigrat2011
well, I just emailed dustin with rough country.

for some reason, I've got two shipping conformation emails today.. WITH TWO DIFFERENT SHIPPING NUMBERS.

does that mean, my visa is gonna get hit twice? should I expect two "1010"'s at my door soon?

I mean, I've only got one f150. lol.
No, no, it means I get a commission!

Good luck with the install, you should have no issues!

Quick Reply: Rough Country Winch Plate and Winch