Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside Assistance damaged my rim

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roadside Assistance damaged my rim

I am wondering if anyone has had an issue with Roadside assistance and how they have taken care of you.

I had a flat tire in my '14 Screw on Saturday, I filled it up and I thought it was good. Then on Sunday it was flat again so I tried to fill it up but nothing would go into or out of the valve stem. I was told later that moisture from the air compressor probably froze inside.

I went to change my tire with the spare and I could find the jack or the tire wrench to lower the spare so I then called Ford Roadside.

They came out and patched my tire on the spot, took out a nail. The tow truck driver then tried to fill my tire up with air from the air compressor and it still wouldn't work. This is when he explained to me the moisture freezing in the valve stem. He then went to his truck and took out his propane torch to heat up the valve stem. This worked and he was able to put the air in the tire.

The problem is when he used the torch he also heated up my rim causing the rim to discolor,peal, and crack around the valve stem. He of course apologized to me and told me to talk with the dealership because the believes the warranty would cover it. (of course it won't). I called Ford roadside and they told me that someone would be calling me in the next two days.

My question has any one else dealt with damage from a Ford roadside provider and were they able to make it right?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

The tow truck driver caused the damage, so it would have been good if you got him to note that on the paperwork from the call. Either the Roadside Assistance will cover it, or you'll get the driver's company to cover it, since he did it. Sit back and wait for the call.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 02:33 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

The towing company Ford sent paid for the damage the one time we've had to use it. The tow cable dug into the lower air dam on our Edge and creased/bent it. We told the driver when we first saw and he made a note about it on the paperwork for us and for the dealer. If I remember right the tow company paid the dealer directly for the part.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Could have just removed the valve core and held it your hand to warm it up. I would never let anyone near an aluminum wheel with a torch.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MixMastaMM
I would never let anyone near an aluminum wheel with a torch.

Or any wheel for that matter.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

or **** on it? easier to wash it off than a cracked rim!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Seems a little overkill with the propane torch to melt some ice.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Mulek
I went to change my tire with the spare and I could find the jack or the tire wrench to lower the spare so I then called Ford Roadside.
It's under the rear driver's side seat. Lift out the removable pocket and unscrew the large black wing nut to the left. You can then reach in and slide it out.

Teach a man to fish.............
Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

the process is easy
call roadside back and get a claim filed against the tow operator
one way or another it will get resolved.

we used them last year and the tow operator about killed us and damaged the truck
Ford made good and I assume they were compensated by the operator

we have used coach net and fords roadside for many years and have never had an issue that wasn't resolved
Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

There's a chance that if he heated the rim up enough to crack it, then the TPMS sensor is probably damaged too

Quick Reply: Roadside Assistance damaged my rim