Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting OEM Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Retrofitting OEM Projectors

So now that I have a set of OEM projectors on their way, I'm starting to piece together the items for retrofitting them. I'm hoping for some insight from people who have done their retrofits themselves.

raptor retrofit is obviously a great outfit and I am very tempted to just ship the lights out to them but considering I have short money into the OEM housings, I'm thinking I may be brave enough to tackle this myself.

I'm leaning towards the Morimoto M LED projector - does anyone have any experience with these? I previously bought the protuninglab cheap chinese projectors (which honesty, I do like. I also know you get what you pay for) but I haven't had the best experience with the hid system they use (installed 100% correct, headlights still shut off sporadically. I've spent too much time swapping ballasts and trying to diagnose). If I can eliminate ballasts and bulbs and all the other bits and pieces that go with the system, in my mind at least, there's less to go wrong, right?

I want to add a white C channel led strip and switchback projector halo ring and 2 led strips on the inner housing, inner shroud would be PTM sterling grey but I'm still not sure about the bezel, I like a little chrome and may keep them that way.

On the other hand, maybe I should just leave them alone and buy all the oem pieces (bulbs, ballasts etc) and just have a beautiful set of projectors. I've always liked the OEM projectors

Any thoughts or input is appreciated, I'm seriously torn on which route to go
Old 05-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

When I got my set, I decided to not mess with oem perfection.

6 years and still lighting the way.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

they sure are purty. i am very tempted to just leave them alone and spend the money on leather - just found a totaled fx4 screw that the guy only wants $500 for the front and rear seats

did you stick with oem bulbs Rnl? i seen a few 5500k d3s bulbs that i would go with if i don't retrofit

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
When I got my set, I decided to not mess with oem perfection.

6 years and still lighting the way.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

I have the same lights. The projector could definitely be better. But honestly it doesn’t bother me much. I still love my OEM HIDs. With that being said, I wasn’t a huge fan of the OEM bulb color so I swapped my bulbs for the Osram CBIs. Much happier now.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Massshole13sc
they sure are purty. i am very tempted to just leave them alone and spend the money on leather - just found a totaled fx4 screw that the guy only wants $500 for the front and rear seats

did you stick with oem bulbs Rnl? i seen a few 5500k d3s bulbs that i would go with if i don't retrofit
For a while I did, then I put some Morimoto bulbs in due to someone posting a big sale on them here in the forum, they are a little brighter than stock, same color temp, the biggest difference I noticed is they throw light farther down the road than oem.

The following users liked this post:
Massshole13sc (05-08-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:21 PM

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f83/factor...7/#post6202005
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

In that case they will look like mine, and I am still running the stock Bulbs in mine.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting OEM Projectors