Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced lower blend door actuator, now leak on passenger floor board

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced lower blend door actuator, now leak on passenger floor board

Hello all,

I recently replaced the lower blend door actuator on my 2009 F150 with dual zone climate control, which required me to remove the dash. I now have cold air on both sides of the cab.

After driving the truck for a few days, I noticed a leak on the passenger side floor board that was not there before. Could this be a bad heater core? Clogged drain? Or potentially a similar issue as seen in this TSB elbow fix?
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threa...llation.18613/
Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 AM

So your problem is that when you turn the system to heat it does not get hot? If so, then I believe the upper motor (behind radio) is your problem.

Could the heater core still have air in it? I have seen YT videos on how properly remove air from these systems.

I recently replaced both motors but was luckily able to do so without having to pull the dash. Do you think you might have a faulty motor?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Freebird67
So your problem is that when you turn the system to heat it does not get hot? If so, then I believe the upper motor (behind radio) is your problem.

Could the heater core still have air in it? I have seen YT videos on how properly remove air from these systems.

I recently replaced both motors but was luckily able to do so without having to pull the dash. Do you think you might have a faulty motor?
The reason I replaced the lower actuator was because the driver side was not blowing cold air (I live in Texas, so its hot almost all year). Once I replaced the lower actuator, cold air began to blow on the driver side. That tells me the lower actuator/motor is working properly.

I have not tested the heating, but I can if you think it is necessary to diagnose the problem.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Understood - maybe a plenum did not get put back on correctly when you reassembled. I recall there are a few screws holding the lower duct work. Maybe it is not seated properly. Does the air leak seem to come from up behind the dash?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Freebird67
Understood - maybe a plenum did not get put back on correctly when you reassembled. I recall there are a few screws holding the lower duct work. Maybe it is not seated properly. Does the air leak seem to come from up behind the dash?
It looks like it does come from behind the dash. It drips onto the carpet where it starts running vertically, close to the firewall.

So I am going to need to take the dash off again?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:20 AM

I certainly hope not! Having not removed the dash myself I'm not sure of possible points where air could be lost. The failure to drain properly would be of more concern.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm assuming your talking about a liquid leak not an air leak. You need to determine if its coolant or condensate. You could have knocked the drain hose loose or kinked it.