Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of the 3.5L past 60k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of the 3.5L past 60k?

So I'm in the market for a new truck and have been eyeing the 3.5's around me. The thing is, there are a LOT of them on the used market, and they are all right at 60,000mi. I know a lot of people like the warm and fuzzy of a warranty so trading in at 60k isn't too crazy, but it still concerns me when I see this many up for sale. I've been searching to see if there are some problems or hidden gremlins that show up in these higher mile 3.5's but I can't find anything... Am I being paranoid? Are these trucks reliable or should I avoid the a 3.5 without a warranty? The truck I'm specifically looking at is a 2014 FX4, sitting at 59k.

Last edited by kiloEcho; 01-24-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Most of the issues that I have seen on these engines has been misfires (spark plugs/cop boots) and noise at start up (timing chain slap) the timing chain is an expensive fix, but if it is quiet at cold start it is not a concern yet. I have 103k on my '13 ecoboost and my sister's '11 ecoboost has around 150k. Honestly, I didn't like the idea of the engine until I drove one. once i towed with it, i was sold. I've had mine for about 4 months and i did have an issue with a splice in the wiring harness, but I think that was a one-off issue.
The following users liked this post:
kiloEcho (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

You're not going to get a straight answer here. Anyone that owns an ecoboost will tell you it'll be fine, and anyone that has a 5.0 will tell you all ecoboosts blow up and you should only get a V8.

If you find a nice truck at a price you want to pay, I say go for it regardless of which engine it has. Check for timing chain rattle on a cold startup, that'd be my main concern. Any maintenance records would be a plus, but I wouldn't skip on a truck that doesn't have them.

Even then, you can probably add an extended warranty if you really want to. I personally don't think they are worth the money, but a lot of folks on this board do.
The following 3 users liked this post by bassJAM:
Ford_Guy15 (01-26-2018), kiloEcho (01-24-2018), kinerin (01-29-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
You're not going to get a straight answer here. Anyone that owns an ecoboost will tell you it'll be fine, and anyone that has a 5.0 will tell you all ecoboosts blow up and you should only get a V8.
I kind of expected that, hahah. I'm coming from the Wrangler world, and everyone with the 3.6 thinks I should have driven my 3.8 off a cliff. And don't even get me started on the 4.0 guys...

Thanks for the answers so far, guys. I will definitely consider an extended warranty just because it makes nervous to see this many for sale. But I really love the truck. I'd prefer it be the aluminum body, but the dealerships in the northeast definitely seem to know the value of corrosion resistance and they command a premium.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll be completely honest, the 3 main issues on the 3.5 EB are..

1. cold start rattle. the tsb calls for the timing chain, tensioners and cam phasers to be replaced.

2. Charge air intercooler condensation. fix, if I recall correctly, was a new CAC, engine programming & catalytic converter swap, if needed.

3. electric vacuum pumps on the early motors. they are prone to failing. Ford switched over to a mechanical one sometime in 2013.

I had the timing chain issue on my 13. got it fixed but wound up trading my truck, for another 3.5. I just wanted the new body style and it was my dad's special order he wound up having to turn down I didn't have the heart to let it go, otherwise I'd still honestly have my 13. 3 other family members have them and no complaints. If you find a truck that's had these repairs they should be fine. A late '13 build or a 14 should be just fine. Ford had a few things to sort & my 16 hasn't had an issue, save for a acm reflash.
kiloEcho (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by kmac1036
I'll be completely honest, the 3 main issues on the 3.5 EB are..

1. cold start rattle. the tsb calls for the timing chain, tensioners and cam phasers to be replaced.

2. Charge air intercooler condensation. fix, if I recall correctly, was a new CAC, engine programming & catalytic converter swap, if needed.

3. electric vacuum pumps on the early motors. they are prone to failing. Ford switched over to a mechanical one sometime in 2013.

I had the timing chain issue on my 13. got it fixed but wound up trading my truck, for another 3.5. I just wanted the new body style and it was my dad's special order he wound up having to turn down I didn't have the heart to let it go, otherwise I'd still honestly have my 13. 3 other family members have them and no complaints. If you find a truck that's had these repairs they should be fine. A late '13 build or a 14 should be just fine. Ford had a few things to sort & my 16 hasn't had an issue, save for a acm reflash.
Awesome, thanks man. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I'm looking at a 2014 so hopefully that means I don't need to worry about the vacuum pump. I'll listen for the rattle when I go in tomorrow and ask about the intercooler.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my '11 with 49k on it. I know have 106k. I have had zero motor issue. I have had transmission issues. They are the same trans as the V8 so it is not a 3.5 issue. Also my trans failure was an internal part failure that tore the whole thing up. I love the truck. Can't beat it when towing. Don't expect to end global warming by driving this Ecoboost instead of a V8. You either get Eco or you get boost. Which do you like better?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kiloEcho
Awesome, thanks man. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I'm looking at a 2014 so hopefully that means I don't need to worry about the vacuum pump. I'll listen for the rattle when I go in tomorrow and ask about the intercooler.
the rattle is most likely and most pronounced after a cold soak, i.e. sitting overnight in the cold. make sure that truck hasn't been started yet and be the one to start it or be there at least.
kiloEcho (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by kmac1036
the rattle is most likely and most pronounced after a cold soak, i.e. sitting overnight in the cold. make sure that truck hasn't been started yet and be the one to start it or be there at least.
Cool thanks for the heads up. What kind of sound should I be listening for? And would be be covered under the little remaining warranty that's left?

Last edited by kiloEcho; 01-24-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:20 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

The only thing that concerns me is the engine replacement cost on them. I know needing an entire new engine is rare, but my engine crapped out on me after owning it for 2 weeks. (used truck with 86,000 miles) Dealership replaced it under my extended warranty at no cost to me. And the repair was $7500 since the warranty company insisted on a Ford engine which cost a lot more than other companies that make remans for my truck. I have seen quotes on here for replacement of the 3.5's as high as $13000-14000.

Quick Reply: Reliability of the 3.5L past 60k?