Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent purchase of a 09 F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recent purchase of a 09 F150

Good evening gentleman,
I've recently bought a 2009 F150 XLT 5.4 SuperCrewCab 134,000 miles
I've never had a ford this new or this big, Just wanted to know what I should do to do a full tune up on the vehicle. What should i buy? Ignition coils? Wires?
Oil change will be done soon. I've always heard that the 5.4s have a problem with blowing plugs, just want to get ahead of it best i can.
New exhaust manifolds are getting put on next Monday, had 3 broken studs and is out of my echelon.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

The older 5.4s are notorious for ejecting spark plugs like mini missiles. Actually I think that’s pretty rare. But they are known for them working loose. But the later models like yours are known for the plugs breaking off when you try to remove them. Expect a hefty quote on getting the plugs changed or be prepared for possible extractions if you try it yourself.

**EDIT**
I was mistaken about all later years of the 5.4 having the stuck and breaking plug issue. Please see below posts for the years where this issue was resolved.

Last edited by Starquestbd22; 02-05-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Noesis

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

When I got my 2010, I had a list of things to correct using FORD's revised parts starting with:

Revised 3rd Brake Light (new gasket material and design) - stops water leaking into cab
Revised VCT Solenoids (smaller ports) - stops the phaser rattling between 800-1200 RPMS (dependent on phaser life left).
Revised Trans Bulkhead Connector (updated o-rings) - stops leak that travels to the rear of trans pan
Revised Passenger/Driver Climate motors (updated internals with stronger gears) - stops the incessant clicking when at a specific temperature setting

Replacement of the Canister Purge Valve if you notice repeated "Check fuel inlet" messages or if engine shuts off while driving.
The power steering flexible/hard line attached to frame has been known to fail on the 2009-10 years as they are the last with hydraulic steering. No EPAS.
The TSB for 2009-14 years, specifically the 5.4s do not suffer from the burnt #27 fuse associated with the fuel pump. This has been known to be for the 5.0L and 6.2L models AFAIK.
Maintain your Exhaust Manifolds (susceptible to cracking/corrosion) - replace them before they get bad so as to avoid a lengthy process later on.
Spark plugs are easy to remove/install with 2009-10 years (not susceptible to breaking due to new plug/head design after 2007) - watch some FordTechMakuloco videos regarding these 5.4s.

The 4x4 IWE actuators are prone to fail at some point (upgrade to IWE eliminators or simply replace with OEM parts again).
Backup camera is known to intermittently stop working at times (go aftermarket when it fails) - I used the CM1-F170-CPR and the CM-HD3 (TVL 960)
The COPs (coil on plug) can be replaced as an entire unit or separately depending on what needs replacement in the breakdown process.
The carrier support bearing can fail rather abruptly (157" wheelbase and shuddering associated is a huge contributor). Check on the condition of this before taking a long journey.
The 6R80 trans in these 2009-10 models have the Mechatronics TCM/Leadframe as one whole unit. Expensive to replace but we do not have the TSB for mis-shifts associated with the 2011-14 years shifting into first or second from a highway gear due to the output shaft speed sensor falling out. Otherwise the 6R80 is a pretty stout transmission; follow FordTechMakuloco videos regarding trans fluid/filter changes.
Also the rear window defroster has been noted to shatter the glass out of the unknown (random). It still plagues 09-14 owners to this very day with a few user mods to prevent it from happening again.

2009-10 are the better years with the 5.4. However at some point you will likely have to go through with a new timing chain, timing chain guides, upgraded timing chain tensioners (updated seal gasket material), 340HV or 360HV Melling oil pump, new lash adjusters, new roller followers. The 3-5s startup rattle that some people hear can either be from the lash adjusters running dry due to the blown timing chain tensioner seals pumping down after engine off (or failed anti-drain back valve in oil filter), due to the way oil passes through; drivers side front to rear to rear to front passenger. So noisiest side is likely going to be the passenger side first.

The rule that most follow is use either Ford's 5w20 semi-synthetic or another brand 5w30 full synthetic with an OEM oil filter (Motocraft FL-820S). I personally use 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a K&N oil filter (HP-2010). It just depends on what you want to do with yours. Everyone here is very opinionated on their choices regarding what oil is the best to use. I do however agree though that 5w"20" is the absolute bare minimum for these 5.4s.

The one thing I will suggest is a tuner sometime down the road, specifically the SCT X4 (7015) as it really awakens the 5.4 with a custom tune.

A typical tune-up for these trucks are new spark plugs, COPs, air filter, clean MAF sensor, clean throttle body, O2s if required, pulleys, tensioner and serpentine belt. Among other things like topping up fluids and checking for leaks. Keep an eye on your self service intervals and you'll be good to go.

I know I'm missing some things here but will edit accordingly as I remember them.

Last edited by JaCeD_X; 02-04-2019 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
09Ford54 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 10:22 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Starquestbd22
The older 5.4s are notorious for ejecting spark plugs like mini missiles. Actually I think that’s pretty rare. But they are known for them working loose. But the later models like yours are known for the plugs breaking off when you try to remove them. Expect a hefty quote on getting the plugs changed or be prepared for possible extractions if you try it yourself.
this is no longer the case. The 04-08 had the problem, but it was fixed for this generation.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

5.4 3v engines with a build date of 10/09/07 and later have the redesigned heads and use a SP509 motorcraft spark plug that does not break when being removed.. please don’t spread wrong information.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I am going through the same steps with an '11. Gurus will advise WRT your engine.

The generic items on my list:
- Engine belts
-Oil filter/oil change
-Diff. Lube/LS add.
-Brake pads
-Trans. fluid/filter change
-Front end alignment
-Coolant hoses
-Check of all exterior lamps
-Tires
I need to relube the driveshaft slip joint, more repair than maintenance, I suppose.

HTH
Brad
The following users liked this post:
09Ford54 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by techrep

5.4 3v engines with a build date of 10/09/07 and later have the redesigned heads and use a SP509 motorcraft spark plug that does not break when being removed.. please don’t spread wrong information.
My apologies. I owned an 03 5.4 and know I was concerned with a plug coming loose. I have friends who own 05-06 5.4s that have had to deal with plugs breaking. I personally skipped that entire generation of Ford in favor of Dodge and Chevy. I am aware of the updated plug design but didn’t realize that Ford actually put it in factory engines rather than it simply being a replacement part. I have edited my original post to identify my mistake and I appreciate each of you that corrected me.

That being said, I have no intention of spreading wrong information. My intent was to be helpful by sharing information that I thought in good faith to be correct. I simply made a mistake of fact as I imagine you have done as well at some point.

Last edited by Starquestbd22; 02-05-2019 at 07:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Starquestbd22:
09Ford54 (02-05-2019), techrep (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

My apologies. I owned an 03 5.4 and know I was concerned with a plug coming loose. I have friends who own 05-06 5.4s that have had to deal with plugs breaking. I personally skipped that entire generation of Ford in favor of Dodge and Chevy. I am aware of the updated plug design but didn’t realize that Ford actually put it in factory engines rather than it simply being a replacement part. I have edited my original post to identify my mistake and I appreciate each of you that corrected me.

That being said, I have no intention of spreading wrong information. My intent was to be helpful by sharing information that I thought in good faith to be correct. I simply made a mistake of fact as I imagine you have done as well at some point.
Problem is that some people will take your suggestion and run with it... go buy an extraction tool and the whole nine yards. That's why I pointed it out. It's like Fake news...lol you are good buddy.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
Problem is that some people will take your suggestion and run with it... go buy an extraction tool and the whole nine yards. That's why I pointed it out. It's like Fake news...lol you are good buddy.
Wait, wait. Did you just compare me to CNN??? I’m just kidding. You are correct and I would never want to lead someone in the wrong direction.

I would also point out to anyone that reads my reply that I didn’t skip that gen of F150 for any particular reason. Life just led me elsewhere. I enjoyed my 03 and now that I’m back in a Ford I’m enjoying my 13. Next truck will probably be a Ford as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the wealth of information, I'll know more about her once the manifolds get replaced, plan on plugs and fluid change first.

Quick Reply: Recent purchase of a 09 F150