Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wheel bounce

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel bounce

is there a common fix for rear wheel bounce from 50-60mph ? I have a 2010 f150 4.6 liter, 6.5ft bed, auto.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same truck. I'm installing some Bilstein 5100 rear shocks later today to see if it will improve the ride. I get a lot of rear/bed bounce at city speeds, or going over speedbumps etc.

I'll let you know.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonic04GT
I have the same truck. I'm installing some Bilstein 5100 rear shocks later today to see if it will improve the ride. I get a lot of rear/bed bounce at city speeds, or going over speedbumps etc.

I'll let you know.
Any improvement?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Guess I'll put my observation in. Before installing my leveling 5100s I ran just the rears for a week. And I gotta say it actually made a pretty big improvement.

There is this one bump that used to give me death wobble like crazy on my way to school (when I had my wrangler), and if you hit it in a truck with bad shocks you'll be bouncing up and down a few times.

My truck with stock shocks @60k would bounce up and down a little bit, wasn't bad at all. It drove how it should when you hit a bump, but definitely bounced.

But with the bilsteins, when I hit the bump, my truck goes up over the bump, then down, then right back up. No bouncing up and down and it's actually really nice.

I think they'd solve your problems. Truck rides a little bit rough going over bumps, not too far off from my dad's 2500HD, but it drives like a truck and I like it.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kbrock
Guess I'll put my observation in. Before installing my leveling 5100s I ran just the rears for a week. And I gotta say it actually made a pretty big improvement.

There is this one bump that used to give me death wobble like crazy on my way to school (when I had my wrangler), and if you hit it in a truck with bad shocks you'll be bouncing up and down a few times.

My truck with stock shocks @60k would bounce up and down a little bit, wasn't bad at all. It drove how it should when you hit a bump, but definitely bounced.

But with the bilsteins, when I hit the bump, my truck goes up over the bump, then down, then right back up. No bouncing up and down and it's actually really nice.

I think they'd solve your problems. Truck rides a little bit rough going over bumps, not too far off from my dad's 2500HD, but it drives like a truck and I like it.
ive got the 5100's all four corners. Mine actually seemed more noticeable after they were installed, only about 3k miles ago. Mines a '13 supercrew 4x4 with 6.2l. Never even noticed it before, but also went up from 275/70 to 295/70/18 and could maybe attribute some to the increased rubber... not real sure. My old z71 did the same thing from about 40-45 mph, and always was about 2" taller than factory runner. It's annoying as hell and would love an answer as to the actual cause and what could be done to fix.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Afgrace
ive got the 5100's all four corners. Mine actually seemed more noticeable after they were installed, only about 3k miles ago. Mines a '13 supercrew 4x4 with 6.2l. Never even noticed it before, but also went up from 275/70 to 295/70/18 and could maybe attribute some to the increased rubber... not real sure. My old z71 did the same thing from about 40-45 mph, and always was about 2" taller than factory runner. It's annoying as hell and would love an answer as to the actual cause and what could be done to fix.
Maybe I'm not totally understanding. When people say wheel bounce, are you talking about the truck bouncing up and down, or like the wheels are leaving contact from the road for a split second and like skipping over the road?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. Maybe I didn't understand the question to begin with. But I'm on 295/60r20 mud tires now so I'm of no help. Truck rides like my dad's 2500HD now lol
Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kbrock
Maybe I'm not totally understanding. When people say wheel bounce, are you talking about the truck bouncing up and down, or like the wheels are leaving contact from the road for a split second and like skipping over the road?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. Maybe I didn't understand the question to begin with. But I'm on 295/60r20 mud tires now so I'm of no help. Truck rides like my dad's 2500HD now lol
what I'm sure the OP is talking about is a steady feeling of a bounce, wobble, or hop at that particular speed- almost as if you've got an unbalanced tire, bad rim, or something out of whack in the driveline. Nothing really to do with bouncing due to bumps in the road
Old 10-07-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Afgrace
what I'm sure the OP is talking about is a steady feeling of a bounce, wobble, or hop at that particular speed- almost as if you've got an unbalanced tire, bad rim, or something out of whack in the driveline. Nothing really to do with bouncing due to bumps in the road
Oh ok gotcha. I can still comment on that. Even though I had almost 60k on my stock 18" tires, the truck would vibrate around that speed and even 65mph then smooth out a little bit. And I mean shake you around in the truck, I can see the water in my water bottles shaking up and down. When I put the rears in I found myself going 80 and was surprised because I didn't feel any of the vibration during acceleration. Tires were balanced but just out of round you can say. On bilsteins and my new tires I tested it and got up to about 90 yesterday (tires only rated for 96) and it was as smooth as can be!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ajandersen
Any improvement?
It improved, but did not rid of the problem. I can still feel sort of a vertical vibration/fast hop whenever the rear end hits a decent bump in the road.

The factory shocks I could easily compress between two hands. The Bilsteins required quite a bit of elbow grease to compress that extra inch or so to fit them in place. Easy install though.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

I hate to tell you all but, my old 1991 does it too. Changed the shocks, helped but still does it. It must be the nature of the beast

Last edited by David Young; 10-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: rear wheel bounce