Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Diff Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Diff Cover

My truck is 3 weeks old, I was underneath the truck checking things out and noticed the rear diff cover gasket or silicone was sticking out part way around and in some spots it was not. I also noticed that a little seep and I mean a little just enough to make a small black spot the size of pin head on a Kleenex. If I push in that spot with my thumb its such a small little seep or black spot on the Kleenex. I know if I take it to the dealer they will say I am full of ****, but in your opinion do you guys think it will get any worse? Thank you in advance from the biggest **** F150 owner in the world.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Well i think that's probably 'normal'

Ford uses rtv to seal the differential cover, and the axle tubes are not really sealed at the pumpkin joint either- they are just press fitted and plug welded.

At 55000 on my '10 3.55 rear diff, i see some dark seepage at the axle tube joint, and some from around the diff cover. Not a dripping leak, but seep.

I don't like the look, as my old rusty toyota never dripped a drop, but i don't think it'll affect the longevity of the truck.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979 F150
My truck is 3 weeks old, I was underneath the truck checking things out and noticed the rear diff cover gasket or silicone was sticking out part way around and in some spots it was not. I also noticed that a little seep and I mean a little just enough to make a small black spot the size of pin head on a Kleenex. If I push in that spot with my thumb its such a small little seep or black spot on the Kleenex. I know if I take it to the dealer they will say I am full of ****, but in your opinion do you guys think it will get any worse? Thank you in advance from the biggest **** F150 owner in the world.
Yes it will get worse. The dealer will fix it no questions asked unless you have modified the rear with a custom cover.

If they balk at it, wait a week or so and go under there with a pair of pliers and pull the gasket a bit. May have to get towed to the dealer and clean the driveway too.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They fixed mine but forgot the friction modifier... Had to call and let them know how many ounces are needed once I convinced them they forgot it..... Gotta love warranty work...

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Cover