Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really getting sick of this truck..

Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Really getting sick of this truck..

So I've had my fx4 for 1 year. And within 1 year i have had my truck in for 4x4 problems 7 times...AND ITS STILL NOT FIXED!!

first i was a grinding noise in the front hubs that no matter what they replaced it would not go away. They replaced parts like, actuators, solenoids, Check valves in the vacuum line, vacuum lines, wheels bearings, and all kinds of things up front. then my 4x4 simply didnt work at all. and now im getting all kinds of clunking and grinding noises and it only works when it wants too.It has been a non stop issue from day one. The next step is apparently replacing the entire vacuum harness. It better fix it or im going to lose my mind.

On top of that issue, I have a clunk in my drive shaft from stops. They told me it was cause of the 2 piece drive shaft that my truck has and they supposedly fixed it but its still clunking. Now the answer to that is a new revised drive shaft i guess.

And the last thing that bugs me is it shifts hard between 1st and 2nd. More annoying than anything im not sure if its a big deal.

Any of you guys have experience with having any of these problems fixed? what did it take?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM
2023 402a Tremor

Received 134 Likes on 93 Posts

Have a 13 screw fx4 w 15k miles. Only problem I've had is electric rear slider. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Have they replaced the whole hub yet? I would have figure they would have done that by now. As far as the clunk when you stop. That is most likely a slip yoke that needs to be greased. Leveling your truck did not help that and probably made it more pronounced. Not too sure about the hard shifts. I have heard cases where the speedo was not calibrated to the bigger tires causing hard and awkward shifts. Have you tried disconnecting your negative battery cable for 10 minutes to reset your ECM and make your transmission relearn a new shift strategy?
Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

I've had my 2013 FX for a year this week and have had zero issues.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
Have they replaced the whole hub yet? I would have figure they would have done that by now. As far as the clunk when you stop. That is most likely a slip yoke that needs to be greased. Leveling your truck did not help that and probably made it more pronounced. Not too sure about the hard shifts. I have heard cases where the speedo was not calibrated to the bigger tires causing hard and awkward shifts. Have you tried disconnecting your negative battery cable for 10 minutes to reset your ECM and make your transmission relearn a new shift strategy?
Nope they haven't done that yet but im assuming there going to have to as it sounds like its blown to pieces inside. They took the drive shaft off and re greased everything, apparently that usually fixes it but not mine. The service manager told me my leveling kit shouldn't be causing anything as he said he had never seen a level alone cause problems just lift kits. Ill try resetting the ecm and see if it fixes the shifting.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Originally Posted by 5.0FX4OFFROAD
Nope they haven't done that yet but im assuming there going to have to as it sounds like its blown to pieces inside. They took the drive shaft off and re greased everything, apparently that usually fixes it but not mine. The service manager told me my leveling kit shouldn't be causing anything as he said he had never seen a level alone cause problems just lift kits. Ill try resetting the ecm and see if it fixes the shifting.

Leveling slightly changes the angle of your driveshaft cuasing it to do this...

Old 11-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Unless you have the issue I had where I heard a clunk everytime I applied the brakes in reverse. This was caused by a warped/shrunk brake pad not sitting right in the caliper which made this noise everytime I stopped.

(I pulled this off you tube just like the last video)

A brake pad replacement fixed my issue.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 11-16-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Dealer service departments seem to operate under the constant fear of 'Will I get a warranty reimbursement for the work' I do on this customers car" for cars under warranty... Very little real trouble shooting, just some 'guided action' steps from the factory service manual that result in either a specific part replacement with warranty reimbursement for the parts and labor, or 'no problem found'.

It's actually quite refreshing to take a vehicle *not* under warranty to a great independent mechanic (though they are getting rare), have them do 30 minutes of quality inspection/troubleshooting, and often fixing the problem without replacing some major part.
The following users liked this post:
Al Kohalic (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Originally Posted by pfbz
Dealer service departments seem to operate under the constant fear of 'Will I get a warranty reimbursement for the work' I do on this customers car" for cars under warranty... Very little real trouble shooting, just some 'guided action' steps from the factory service manual that result in either a specific part replacement with warranty reimbursement for the parts and labor, or 'no problem found'.

It's actually quite refreshing to take a vehicle *not* under warranty to a great independent mechanic (though they are getting rare), have them do 30 minutes of quality inspection/troubleshooting, and often fixing the problem without replacing some major part.
I couldn't have said that better myself. This is why I just try to diagnose my issues myself. There are some issues I would not feel comfortable doing this on, but I have enough mechanical aptitude for most problems with some research. I find it's easier for me that way.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 11-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Al Kohalic
Leveling slightly changes the angle of your driveshaft cuasing it to do this...

http://youtu.be/GFC8boB7RRs
That's interesting, that deffinitly looks like it could be whats going on under my truck. Is that yours in the video? would you say thats something to worry about or just leave it alone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Really getting sick of this truck..