Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor Front Suspension, anyone done a conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Raptor Front Suspension, anyone done a conversion?

So before you tell me to go and buy a Raptor instead, let me say that I am considering that. But that I'd like to modify my truck instead. Main reason is they don't offer a Regular Cab Short Bed Raptor.

Anyway, it seems to me that I could just swap the front suspension parts over, and get a bunch more front end travel.

I've done a little searching on Tasca parts for the cost involved

$126 Left, $126 Right - Raptor Upper Control Arm
$369 Left, $369 Right - Raptor Lower Control Arm
$223 Left, $202 Right - Raptor CV Axles (are these the same spline count as my stock axles?
$54 Left, $53 Right - Raptor Tie Rod Ends
$1322 - Icon coilovers

That comes out to be ~$2844.

You'd have to cut your stock fenders. But that's not too bad. You'd get the long travel front suspension of the Raptor for relatively cheap.

Has anyone done this? Or seriously considered it and then backed out? If so, why?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Truck would look funny going down the road with the front 7"s wider then the back
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Huge Member

Received 240 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm sure for 3 grand you could get a better setup from a suspension place...?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 398 Likes on 344 Posts

you will have to do somthing with the rear after the front is that wide.i forget how much wider the raptor suspension is. 2 inch on either side i believe. but i suppose it could be done. there is a guy on here that has done some raptor conversions. bright green one, You might want to ask him he might have some more info for ya.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You dont HAVE to do anything to the rear, it would drive fine. Aestheticaly wouldnt be bad either imo, but ya wheel spacers (yuck) or raptor rear end or longer axles/tubes.

I would do fiberglass fenders instead of cutting the stock fenders.

Last edited by M&D; 02-20-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Actually I left the rear axle details sparse on purpose. It's a solid axle attached with leaf springs, therefore my options are pretty much limitless. The only question is whether the front suspension change could work or not. If not, there's no point in discussing the rest of it.

Potential problems I see:
  • Longer tie rod ends needed. Raptor Tie rod ends connect into a hydraulic steering rack. Mine connect into an Electric steering rack. Are the parts interchangable, besides length? Or does the Raptor tie rod connect in a unique, possibly beefier way. Or would I be looking at custom tie rod ends?
  • CV Axles. Same thing. Is spline count, or bolt count and diameter compatible? Or would I be looking at custom axles?
Custom Tie Rods and Custom Front CV Axles would likely break the bank. If this project gets close to the price difference between my truck's trade-in value and the cost of a base SuperCab Raptor it would make sense to just go with a Raptor.

As far as the front fenders go, I was thinking of the Bushwhaker extend-a flares, the 4" ones. And cutting the fender underneath.

It should look like this:

Except painted black.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive heard of it done on 2wd trucks. for 4wd I think you would have to get custom cv axels as the spline count is different. 31 vs 34 if I remember correctly
The following users liked this post:
Kytann (02-21-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 03:12 PM

So I went and test drove a couple of Raptors. The extra width of the Raptor is a real put-off to me. The only ones they had to test drive were also the really long SuperCrews, so it's hard to say how much of that was the extra length though. But it felt unwieldy on the city streets I'm used to driving every day in my Regular Cab.
I couldn't imagine taking something that wide on the skinny shelf roads in Colorado.

So now I am looking at scaling back my expectations, and just doing modifying my stock setup. Nothing wider than stock, is my new motto.

Has anyone tried to fit the stock FOX Shocks from the Raptor onto the F150? They look the same, both trucks use the same leveling kits, so the top bolt pattern must be the same.
Are they longer than stock? If so, by how much, exactly.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Ifyou look at my pictures of the stock front shocks here

https://plus.google.com/photos/10539...IjY5726vpmphgE

You'll see that they don't look much different, if at all, from these here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181088960765...84.m1423.l2649

At least as far as the mounting goes. Anyone tried this?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The axles on the raptor are wider, u would need just about all of it, I beleive tne frame is different to. Search google for eco raptor. The built one about 80k. Will the front and rear shcoks swap over idk. But I can tell u to hit up the raptor frrums lots of guys selling stock take off parts.

I think for 3k u could have a nice aftermarket setup, that is functional possibly on par or better then a stock raptor.

My wife told me if I wanted the raptor look I could get the grill. But thr raptor is so much more then looks.

I do know front axle on 13 is 35 spline.

Quick Reply: Raptor Front Suspension, anyone done a conversion?