Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Swap (Back to the Future)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Swap (Back to the Future)

My factory radio died in my 2012 F-150 and I tried the baking fix, but it failed again two days after, so I started looking at new units. I didn't really use the Bluetooth or hands free calling features, but I do have a USB and hundreds of CDs. I also have some cassettes, but of course no new units are available with cassette players anymore. Most radio swaps are for people putting new radios in older models or upgrading to Sync whatever, but I didn't see anything about going old to new, except a few people asking if it was possible, only to be advised to "get with the times" and upgrade. So, I found a CD/cassette combo from a 05-07 F250/Focus and a pigtail, along with an install kit for my truck.

The accessory 12v from the truck is seemingly supplied by the BCM and I did see that it may be possible to make it work using Forscan, but it was just easier to run an accessory wire from fuse 37 (trailer brake) over to Pin 2 on the radio. My steering controls no longer work, so I will either have a follow up project trying to recessitate them, delete them, or just leave them non functional.

It took a little finessing on the mounting brackets and a little more trimming needs to be done as there is about a 1/4 recess from the unit face to the front of the bezel. It's a pretty clean install though, other than the display being green against the blue interior lighting. There may even be units with blued LCDs for that matter.

Yes, I know I could have bought an aftermarket CD,USB combo and kept using my flash drive. But maybe this will give hope to that person who has a ton of tapes and CDs who doesn't want to mess with digitization.

Quick Reply: Radio Swap (Back to the Future)