Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questionable dealer pricing on 2013's

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Default Questionable dealer pricing on 2013's

In my search for a 2013 F-150 I have noticed some unusual pricing games by a couple of dealers in my area. One (who does have some good prices) post the MSRP as the price before the factory package discounts, and then adds it to his discounts. Ex. XLT package discounts from the factory can be as high as $1500. $6000 dealer discount + $1500 package discount becomes $7500 off on the web page.

Another doesn't post a link to the window sticker, but is apparently doing the same magic trick.

I know this is done for those who don't do their homework before they shop. But it makes me wonder what other little piles of crap await you when you enter the showroom. Anyone else notice this in their area?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quickest and easiest way to avoid this is do an online pricing inquiry. Give them exactly what you want, color, options, bed, engine, cab, etc. And ask for the EXACT TO THE PENNY OUT THE DOOR COST WITH ALL TAXES, FEES, LICENSE, ETC included. Get 3 or 4 if you have that many close and then if you dont have loyalty to any dealer go with the cheapest. If you do have loyalty to a dealer or prefer one over the rest take all quotes in to that store and say I would like to buy from you-these are my prices-can you match or how close can you come. Also, a big thing would to tell them you will give them 100% on the survey (and actually do) as they really are important. Just a little insider knowledge. Good luck and most importantly-have fun. Buying a car should be and for everyone else constantly talking crap-I 100% promise/guarantee the people who are nice and have a good time get better deals and better service then people who are rude and condescending.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

the Chevy dealers here do the same thing. Like saying get $8000 off the Silverado's.......1,500 of that is a package discount listed in the sticker price. Its all about advertising and luring you into the dealership.

Ford does it too of course.

Originally Posted by Wanted33
In my search for a 2013 F-150 I have noticed some unusual pricing games by a couple of dealers in my area. One (who does have some good prices) post the MSRP as the price before the factory package discounts, and then adds it to his discounts. Ex. XLT package discounts from the factory can be as high as $1500. $6000 dealer discount + $1500 package discount becomes $7500 off on the web page.

Another doesn't post a link to the window sticker, but is apparently doing the same magic trick.

I know this is done for those who don't do their homework before they shop. But it makes me wonder what other little piles of crap await you when you enter the showroom. Anyone else notice this in their area?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

M.S.R.P. Manufacters SUGGESTED retail price. The dealer can charge any price he wants and thats the way its been since the model "T" there is nothing wrong with that. Do your research and negotiate a price you can live with or walk out the door and go to another dealer. Keep in mind the dealer is going to try to get the most he can but he must be competitive with other dealers and other brands.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts
Default KBB and Edmunds

Take a look at KBB.com and Edmunds.com......they will show invoice and retail MSRP pricing.

Take a look at Truecar.com to see market pricing....kind of a "here's what others are getting..."

DON'T walk into a dealer and speak to an on-the-floor retail salesperson. Find the Fleet Manager or the Internet Manager....and as suggested earlier.....ask for a complete out the door price including everything BEFORE you go anywhere near the showroom.

Happy Shopping!!

Northlight
Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Bacon?

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

They are giving a 5k Rebate on V8's. Not Ecoboosts right now.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

All the dealers were doing that for the 2012s as well. I find it a little shady because the sticker says MSRP: XX,XXX and they are listing their discount off a number higher than that. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is final price no matter how they play their games with the numbers.

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with jetrep. I saw the same thing when I bought my 2012. I didn't like it either, but I shopped a number of dealers and all the final prices were in the same ballpark.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was looking, the Internet price never included freight ($995). But DID include all available rebates, whether you are eligible for all of them or not.

So once you get in there, the truck is $1500 or $2000 more expensive.

I even had a dealer tell me to come in and look at a specific truck on their website, drive 25 miles to get there, and they didn't even have the truck. Tried to put me in a platinum of course, which I didn't want!

I hate dealers like this....really have to read the fine print on the website.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

I have been using the same dealer for 20 years, and he just gave me the invoice price. Of course we then add all the condiments to that. I haven't looked that close to other dealers, and found this interesting. With car prices an open book now, you would think no one would go into a dealer uniformed.

Quick Reply: Questionable dealer pricing on 2013's