Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with key going into ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with key going into ignition

I have a 2011 ecoboost. Today, my wife started the truck with a different key than normal (the spare key). It started and ran fine. Pulled into a parking lot and I took the key out. Forgot to roll down the windows so I went to put my original key back into the ignition and I could only get it in 1/4 of the way. It just wouldn't go any further. Tried the spare key again and same thing, wouldn't go in. Tried many different things, locking the steering wheel, the tilt and nothing. After waiting for awhile I tried it again and after putting it in and out 1/4 of the way, i finally got it to go all the way in. Then, I couldn't turn the key to start the truck. After about 5 - 10 seconds of fumbling and jiggling, it finally unlocked. Started fine.

I have since put the key in and out numerous times with little or no problem and it starts. Sometimes a little resistance pulling the key back out.
However, I'm supremely worried I'm going to get stuck somewhere and we are heading to a Northern part of a province with little services.

Any ideas? Other than not use the spare key again - if that in fact was the problem. Suggestions? My guess is perhaps the actual cylinder had some tumblers stuck or something.

Don
Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM
MOAR BOOST!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you happen to lock the steering wheel by turning it while the key was not in the ignition? I know on older vehicles if you lock the steering it can be hard to get the key back in without moving the wheel away from the lock detent.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 sounds like you locked the steering wheel. you need to turn the wheel and put the key in at the same time....its hard to describe, but you will know when you try.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call on the steering lock...it's happened to me before on other vehicles.

Unfortunately, I know for sure it was not the steering lock that created this situation. It was having the issue before the steering wheel locked.
It had to be something with the spare key.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bachey
Good call on the steering lock...it's happened to me before on other vehicles.

Unfortunately, I know for sure it was not the steering lock that created this situation. It was having the issue before the steering wheel locked.
It had to be something with the spare key.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
One of the little tab inside the barrel has come loose. Those are used to "code" the barrel to the key.

Smells like the dealership again...!

Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

My wife will pull down on the wheel as she is pulling out the key. After figuring out the problem, I have learned to release the pressure by also pulling down on the left side of the wheel to get it released. It's one of those things that I have learned it is easier to deal with it than try to retrain her

Quick Reply: Problem with key going into ignition