Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible transmission question

OK, 2009 XLT 4.6l 17K on the clock
Here's the issues,

#1 going to pass on the HWY, hesitates for a second before taking off.
#2 from a slow roll, on hard acceleration feels like the truck quits and then takes off

Only happens when engaging 1st from a stop/slow roll or when going for a pass on the HWY.

Does this seem like a tranny issue or a fuel/throttle issue to you guys? Does this sound like a common issue? Is this something that needs to be addressed with the dealer under my warrantee? I bought it Ford Certified with the 7yr/100K plan.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Is this your first truck?

I had a 10 with same engine.

#1 sounds normal
#2 sounds like traction control/ stability kicking in
Old 04-20-2013, 01:26 PM

No, not my first, just my most recent. Figured it was time to upgrade. Last truck was an '89 F250 460 4x4. I could chirp the wheels in 4wd with the hubs locked!!! I do fully understand the lack of power that the 4.6l has in comparison but I did enjoy the feeling of slamming on the throttle and the truck taking off. Currently it feels like I have to constantly check the mirrors to make sure i don't get slammed into when I try to make a pass, yes it hesitates that much.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

it could be the traction/stab system.. my 2013 has done this on a rolling stop.. push to far on the pedal and one wheel spins. it happens so quick..sometimes i dont notice the wheel slips till i see the cloud/dust behind..
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM

That's the opposite of my issue. I'm not getting any wheel spin.
EG: The other day, turned the corner, basically rolling, barely on the accelerator. Guy in front of me driving like he's carrying a load of crystal vases filled with raw thin shelled eggs and sightseeing. So, I hit my gas pedal hard to jump around him and it literally felt like the engine quit and the truck was going to shut down. I let off the accelerator, the engine spurred back to life and I had to, sort of, ease into the throttle to make my pass. Once I was out of first gear my truck took off like a shoplifter from Walmart. If this is normal, I don't like it. It needs to get fixed.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gfd66
That's the opposite of my issue. I'm not getting any wheel spin.
EG: The other day, turned the corner, basically rolling, barely on the accelerator. Guy in front of me driving like he's carrying a load of crystal vases filled with raw thin shelled eggs and sightseeing. So, I hit my gas pedal hard to jump around him and it literally felt like the engine quit and the truck was going to shut down. I let off the accelerator, the engine spurred back to life and I had to, sort of, ease into the throttle to make my pass. Once I was out of first gear my truck took off like a shoplifter from Walmart. If this is normal, I don't like it. It needs to get fixed.
Common problem on the 09 f150. Bought my 2009 new in 09 with the 5.4. On the expressway i have a 3 to 5 second delay when i nail the gas to pass some one. Dealer said it was normal with the fly by wire throttle. A lot of other 2009 owners had the same problem in varying degrees. Almost got hit a few times until i learned to time a pass.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had this issue with my 2012. I started manually down shifting when I need to accelerate hard or pull out for a fast pass. I drop it down to 3-4 and take off. I figured it was the tranny not dropping down gears fast enough.

Quick Reply: Possible transmission question