Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People With Driver Door Speaker VERY LOW or OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Default People With Driver Door Speaker VERY LOW or OUT?

I have seen threads pop up every so often about people having issues with there speakers cutting in and out with no real fix. Someone even mentioned that there is a TSB on this issue, something to do with the door harness. I have had this issue for a very long time, well before my 3/36 expired but always just wrote it off to me not being able to get my ear close enough to the speaker to tell if it was working or not and just thought that the angle of the speakers made them seam quieter than the passenger side front. I had this issue with the stock speakers as well as the Infinity speakers i have installed. I have taken the door panel off many times to check connections and everything is fine.

Well yesterday i was playing around with the speed volume adjustment and noticed that the drivers speaker was now working as it should. Today its not working again. I did a little searching and one post i found on another forum the guy stated that listening to FM or Sirius the speaker would be low/cut out but once he swapped to music from a USB jump drive the speaker would come back on.

So this morning on the way home from work i did a experiment. I was listening to FM and the drivers side speaker was VERY low, i switched to Pandora via Bluetooth and it worked, switched back to FM and it got quiet again, switched back to Pandora and it work, back to FM and it got quiet again. I did this like 6 times and every time i would go to FM the speaker would get quiet, but every time i switched to Pandora it would start working again.

So this tells me that the TSB about the harness being bad is NOT the issue, that the issue is internal of the headunit.

With that being said the people that are having these issues can you try the same thing and report back?

With the way Ford handled our crappie A/C i seriously doubt they will do something about this but its worth a shot.

I know Ford extended the warranty for the APIM, any chance that controls speaker output?

Wayne
Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

That sounds like a tough one already. I don't know if it could be related, but when I just swapped out my door speakers for the kicker upgrade, I felt like the factory speaker connector seemed a little flimsy. Anyways I taped from the female end to about an inch or so down the loom.
I did mention on another thread about the usb being the loudest vs broadcast and Bluetooth. Forgot I even had a CD player.

Last edited by Masi1926; 01-04-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similar issue, with my speakers getting choppy, but of course it only worked when I took it into the dealer to check it out. Their solution? "We couldn't find anything wrong, but your antenna was a bit loose, that may have been the problem." So, if nothing else, just to satisfy them if you do try to talk to them, tighten the antenna if it's loose at all.

It sounds like it's not getting a strong enough signal, so the amplitude is low, vs getting a stronger signal from the bluetooth/USB. So I'd agree, it would have to be the HU or some wiring back there compared to the wiring of bluetooth/usb.

Also, as a note, have you considered upgrading your speakers? The OEM ones are pretty cheap, so regardless of volume, they're hard to enjoy.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine I took it apart as its out of the 36k warranty and the wires had rubbed through where they go through the door. Completely cut through one and almost through others. Pulled the rubber back and found it. The sheath inside the rubber was rubbed through.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 AM

I have already upgraded the speakers to Infinity. As for wires being messed up or connections not being good how would it work just find one sec when listening to Bluetooth and not the next sec when listening to FM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
I have already upgraded the speakers to Infinity. As for wires being messed up or connections not being good how would it work just find one sec when listening to Bluetooth and not the next sec when listening to FM.
I wasn't referring to the door wires, but the wires to/from the HU dealing with radio/sat
Old 01-04-2016, 09:10 AM

Just moved the truck out my driveway and the speaker is now working with FM.

Wayne
Old 01-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

i have the issue on the passenger side. Factories replaced with an amped component set. If i fade to the passenger side and turn volume up a couple notches it will come back on, then fade back to middle and both will play. Then the problem becomes intermittent and goes in and out. At one point when i had a Tune loaded when the speakers pop to confirm complete shutdown, both passenger and driver side doors worked flawlessly without the trick mentioned.
Really frustrating that i haven't found the solution either.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
Just moved the truck out my driveway and the speaker is now working with FM.

Wayne
That's because she heard you talking about her. Now it's the nothing's wrong with me time
It's like your dog seems to know he's going to the vet.

Last edited by Masi1926; 01-08-2016 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z7What (01-05-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 PM

So here is a little update.

I honestly thing because of the "Hack" post about the speed volume control the issue with the speakers being very quiet is more pronounced because well the speakers are louder.

Knock off of work and get in the truck to find the PASSENGER side speakers were now very quiet and the drivers side playing as they should. I changed to blue tooth to see if that fixed it like it had the other day and passenger side was still quiet. I adjusted the fade and balance and found that it's not just the front speakers that are very quiet, it's the rears too. I then decided to change the channel and bam they started working again, all of them. Went back to the same station I had it on before and the speakers stayed playing through all them.

So this proves a few things.

Source Doesn't Matter
Station Doesn't Matter
Volume Doesn't Matter
Station Doesn't Matter
Speed Volume Control Doesn't Matter But Makes Hearing You Have A Issue Much More Pronounced.

What I/We need to find out is if the issue is amp related or head unit related. If head unit I'm pretty much screwed, if the amp I'll go aftermarket.

Any ideas? Read a few guys had the Audio Control Module replaced under warranty but never stuck around long enough on the forum to say if it worked.

Wayne