Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking garages and the F-150

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Parking garages and the F-150

Just got back from a few days in Wash DC. Stayed at hotel. Parked rig in underground garage. Clearance hanging thing said 6'8" Ok no problem as that is 80" and I knew the Scab 4x4 height was supposed to be 75.9 (we will call it 76", or 6'4"). Only problem was I had to drive down and down further into the bowels of the hot garage to find a friggin spot wide/big enough for this beast. Oh, there were good spots but they were already taken. So, as we learn, you can find spots to park in garage or on street or parking lot, it is just that your options are limited vs driving a Camry or something. Anyways I ran into a dead end at very bottom of this hellhole, all the while the antenna hitting pipes and things and swinging wildly back and forth and making that god awful whanging sound but I didn't care about or fear the antenna action and while the height was ok, I had to back out and a nice guy with a Dodge Ram was also down there sweating bullets and after he found space he directed me out. Whew.

Well, I did use the Metro most of week but I did need to bring the beast up to street level a couple of times to drive in the city and parked on street once, but a couple of time I was about to drive into a garage but the clearance sign said 6'3" which I knew was no-go or 6'4" (technically fine but I did not want to embarass myself so I stayed out. Many were 6'5". I never used to pay much attention to these signs but now I will IF and WHEN I need to bring this beast into town.

Finally, and the point of my post really is to say, as I did above that I believed mine to be the 76' incher as the specs have written. But not really, so I am glad I did not try that 6'4" garage (76") because when I got home I actually measured the height, using 5' level and I found that the driver's side came in at about 75.5" while the passenger side was about 77.25" which is 6' 6" for all intents and purposes, so I will be careful not to go in garage that has clearance sign of less than 6.6". I think I read some other posts where guys say they found that the trucks tilt a little and the driver's side is lower? I never cared about that for looks, never could tell difference, and still don't but only for the fact that I need to account for the higher side no matter what

Anyone else run into a sweating parking garage event?

Last edited by johnwill; 07-29-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default yes

About a month back I went to a mall (which I avoid at all costs anyway) and was unfamiliar with the parking areas as the garages have undergone extensive renovtions recently. Anyway all is good in this garage until you turn a corner and AFTER you have turned and start heading up, the clearance goes from something like 11' down to 6'8"! Well I honestly did not know the height of the truck - just that is was way too uncomforably close to the ceiling. So I am sitting there inching forward because I have 3 cars behind me and no way to back up. I am being taunted by all the scratch marks already on the ceiling of the garage and watching my antenna bend as it hits the beams above. I move forward and find and manage to squeeze myself off to the side and let the people behind me go around and up. I also realize how tight the turns are in the garage, but manage to turn around in a 5 or 6 point turn and hightale it outa there and take a very deep breath. I find an outside parking spot only to discover 20 minutes later that I went to the wrong mall in the first place! It was not a good day, but I guess I learned a few lessons from the ordeal....
Old 07-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't have any particular stories that ring a bell to be, but I've been there and done that. Only go in garages that I know the truck will fit, never attempt one that it may or may not fit.

But I wonder if the slight lean in the truck has to do with the gas tank. Could a full tank make you lean one way or another?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Good question on the tank. I don't know. But, when I measured the height today, the tank was about 1/8 full (always seems to be low on gas LOL), so, in my experience anyway, it is not due to the gas tank weight. Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i pulled in slowly sat on the window sill looked and noticed id hit the roof if i went any further. so i ended up making a huge cluster **** haha had to back out but ppl are too stupid to know what the reverse lights stand for lol
Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my complaint is motel parking lots. spaces are only wide enough for a compact car. try getting your suit case out from the back seat with car parked next to ya.......what a freakin hassle.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

ya Ive been in some garages where my CB ant.s hit on every concrete beem. and since the screw is infact longer than a chevy suburban, my front end and hitch always seem to stick out of the spot.

Quick Reply: Parking garages and the F-150