Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake holding enough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Parking Brake holding enough?

I have a 2010 Scab STX with the 4.6 3v. It pulls my boat great but it seems that the parking brake is not holding enough while on the ramp. Anywhere else and I don't notice it but with the ramp being fairly steep with the added weight and I do. I can push it to the almost to the floor and put the truck in park and it will roll back and I can hear the transmission catching it. The trucks not going anywhere but I think when it's down it should take more to move it. I'm tempted to take it to the dealer....thoughts?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you applied the parking brake with the transmission in neutral and let the truck settle onto the brakes? There is a certain level of looseness in the brakes and suspension that will allow the truck to "settle" onto the parking brakes. I also do a lot of boat towing and never have a problem. I apply the parking brake in neutral, leave off of the foot brake, the truck rolls backward a couple inches... then I shift into park.

If you shift into park without doing this, the transmission will catch before the brakes will....
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parking brake is weak as well.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM
better looking than geno

I did think about it today while leaving work and put the truck in gear with the pb on, I would have to be about 2000 rpms to make the truck move which seems ok. So why would my boat drag me back so much. I'm mainly just wondering if anyone has had their dealer look into it. I'm expecting they try putting it in gear such as I did and say it's fine, making me feel no better.

As for the suggesting it should roll back and catch with the brake is not even right. The parking brake is no different than the normal brakes just cable driven.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

How many miles on the truck? Parking brakes are adjustable.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Wizard
How many miles on the truck? Parking brakes are adjustable.
thats what I was thinking, also there are three different systems of parking breaks, also they are cable driven so will not be as good as the normal brakes used when the truck is on. Perhaps the Owners Manual has something in it reguarding the function of the parking breaks and how to adjust them.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I park my on my driveway without my boat or anything it too settles on the transmit ion when in park. I have always been told it's bad to do that and the "Clunk"you hear when you go in drive or Reverse cant be good for the Tranny.
I plan to see if they can adjust it next time I bring it in. I only have 6000 mile son it now.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my parking brake, pushed it all the way to the floor and barely held the truck.

Took it to the dealer and they did an adjustment and now it works the way it should.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chalybs

As for the suggesting it should roll back and catch with the brake is not even right. The parking brake is no different than the normal brakes just cable driven.
Then explain to me why the truck settles back a couple inches when the parking brake is applied and you let off of the normal brakes.

How about just leave the truck in neutral on the ramp and see if it holds after moving back a couple inches. Proof will be in the pudding
Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 PM
better looking than geno

Originally Posted by ftrucktough
Then explain to me why the truck settles back a couple inches when the parking brake is applied and you let off of the normal brakes.

How about just leave the truck in neutral on the ramp and see if it holds after moving back a couple inches. Proof will be in the pudding

Weither it stops or not is of no difference. IT SHOULD NOT ROLL BACK AT ALL.

BTW the truck has 5000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake holding enough?