Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out with the Toyo's and in With the Falken's!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Default Out with the Toyo's and in With the Falken's!

This may end up being more of a horrible review of the Toyo's than a praise of the Falken's, but I can't say enough about how much I disliked the Toyo's. They were one of the least liked tire I've ever owned for any vehicle I've had.

I've owned Supras, TransAm's, G8's, various trucks, etc in my life and know what it is like to drive on tires that either aren't able to hold the power or just simply aren't suited for your vehicle. These Toyo Xtreme AT2's should fall into that category.

I ran a set of 305/55/20 on my truck for right at 30k miles. When I took them off, they still had exactly 11/32nd's of tread left so they wore extremely well and still had tons of grip on them. In dry weather/pavement conditions, they worked relatively ok. They were a bit noisier than I liked on the highway but not horribly so.

However, if even the tiniest bit of water was on the ground, they immediately lost traction. My EcoBoost is tuned so it does have super sensitive throttle response, but I tried both tuned and back to stock with these tires. If it was wet outside, I couldn't even take off from a stoplight without spinning. Couldn't turn while moving without completely leaving my foot off the gas, afraid to give it more than about 50% throttle on the highway to pass as they could break free then too. I had them rotated timely and did everything I knew to do to try and make it any better or somehow figure it out. All this with nearly 2" more of a contact patch at each corner than stock. I was stumped and gave up.

So even though they still had 70% or so tread left, I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered a set of the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's in the same 305/55/20 size. I read numerous threads on this site and others about how great they were so I thought I'd give them a shot. It has been gross and wet almost every day since here in Austin TX and I immediately noticed a difference with these. Granted they are brand new so I wasn't too quick to get too excited, but they are better in every possible way so far. I have yet to slip in the wet, they change lanes better on the highway (truck tended to roll a bit before), and no more lack of confidence in what will happen. I can drive the truck and know it will do what I need it to when I need it to do it.

I don't really have pictures yet as it is still horrible and gross outside and my black wheels look even worse, but I've already put close to 600 miles on these tires and will update this thread as time goes on if there is enough interest.
The following users liked this post:
WXman (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Crotchety Old Man

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

My ko2s aren't as bad as you describe, but I haven't been impressed with the compact snow or ice performance, and not thrilled with wet pavement response. And I have a 3.7 with loads of weight in the truck.

Glad you gave this review, as before i got the 34" ko2s I was looking at the toyo AT2, but not the extreme tread version. Do you normally drive empty? Light load? Tow a lot?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I do normally drive empty. I don't live in a cold weather area so I don't deal with what a lot of those on this forum do.

This tire is apparently a big favorite for those in cold/wet weather climates though. The 3W in the model name is for Wear, Winter, and Wet Performance. They also have the 3PMSF symbol on them so apparently they work pretty well in snow too. I can't speak to that and probably never will, but they are meant to be a good, bad weather tire.

Furthermore, with the 55,000 mile warranty they have, I have seen numerous vehicles go well above that with proper rotation. I don't think I will go past about 60, but I hope they do very well past the warranty number.

Lastly, and this is always a factor, these were quite a bit cheaper than the other major brands in this size tire. I looked at everything from BFG, Nitto, Toyo (other models), Cooper, Hankook, etc etc and they were all more expensive. Sometimes over $100 per tire more expensive.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

My experience with Toyo has been similar. They wear like iron but that's because the rubber compound is so hard. As a result they are very slick when wet. Also fairly expensive. Next time around I'm probably going to look at another brand.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I just ordered a set of Falken's. Can't wait to get them put on.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I prefer the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 over the Yokos. They are a very similar tread pattern but have better siping and water paths to perform better in the wet and snow when on the road.

Definitely NOT for going in the mud though. They'll go off-road just about anywhere but mud is just not their strong suit. I mean you can, but they aren't "chunky" enough to paddle in the mud.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

My Falkens are at 26,000 miles and it's odd because the rate of tread wear seems to have slowed down. They've been holding around 9/32nds or so for a long time now. The way things are going I'll easily make it to the tread life warranty expiration.

I drive 1 mile of gravel roads daily, plus some country lanes and both 2 and 4 lane highways. I tow with them sometimes too. I've never even had a TPMS light come on the dash, much less a flat. For $633 delivered, these are still the best tires I've ever owned.

The traction in the rain and snow is also fantastic, and they roll smoother on the highway than the Hankooks, BFGs, Goodforayears, Coopers, Toyos, etc. that I ran before this.

Quick Reply: Out with the Toyo's and in With the Falken's!