Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is one type of level kit better for stress and wear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Is one type of level kit better for stress and wear?

I have read and read and read some more about level kits for 4X4's and whether or not they are tough on suspension and driveline components. Some people say that as long as you are under 2.5 in the front that you shouldn't have any problems. Others are saying you will have excessive wear no matter what.

Is there a type of leveling kit that is better than others for stress and wear? A guy at my tire shop was telling me that the Rancho kit with the springs and struts are better as it doesn't let the suspension droop and the control arms wont hit? I only listened with 1/2 an ear and didn't get the whole gist.

I am really thinking of going with the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front set for a level as it should also improve the ride?

Does the type of level used affect the ability to align? Are the alignment bolts kits much better and are they all the same

Thanks
Old 02-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

1. They are all pretty similar. They will put more stress on angles and stress on ball joints. How much of course depends on how much of a level you are doing.

2. I am only guessing what the tire shop was saying, but with coilovers like the Rancho, the Halo lift, Fox, etc, the springs are going to be a bit smaller in diameter. This will allow for a bit more clearance to the angle of the UCA, but the suspension will droop. The smaller diameter coils, yet stiffer spring pressure may keep it a bit less.

3. Alignment can be done by any competent shop. Camber bolts sometimes need to be used and sometimes don't. Most Ford dealers stock them so a decent shop can make a quick call and get a set if they need to. My 2005 FX4 needed the kit, my 2013 with my coilover kit did not.

I would highly recommend calling up F150Lifts/HaloLifts and asking them about it. He has a LOT of info about the wear/tear on components and has many of us out there with lots of miles on the components. He will answer and address any questions you have.

This is a picture of my F150Lifts / HaloLifts kit installed. You can see some of the clearances here. I didn't have a good shot from above but you can see some of it.

Name:  IMG_3577_zps9zkyr1sk.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  444.9 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by TJPlatinumEB:
HaloLifts (03-01-2017), IAJack (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

My two previous trucks were leveled with leveling kits. No problems with either but I went with the Bilstein shocks on my '13...I really like the way they firmed up the ride and provide better handling. I'm set at the 2nd notch from the top and gained close to 1-1/2 inches of lift in the front. Almost 30K miles on them with no problems. Since I went with front and rears I had a 4 wheel alignment done and never had any problems with unusual tire wear.

The following 3 users liked this post by PawPaw:
BrentC5Z (02-23-2017), IAJack (02-23-2017), MrLunchbox (02-26-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had to order that boost bar. Looks too perfect!
The following users liked this post:
PawPaw (02-23-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

The bilsteins 5100's do put less strain on the front suspension because of the fact they don't let the front droop to far. It keeps it in the factory specs as far travel goes. A leveling kit that uses a block on top of strut assembly will cause the suspension angles to go beyond the designed travel causing more strain on the joints. Either way the angles are still out of spec, but the Bilsteins do keep them from over extending the joints.
The following users liked this post:
IAJack (02-25-2017)