Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dipstick Tube STUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Oil Dipstick Tube STUCK!!!

Hey everyone,
My dipstick tube snapped off just above the mounting bolt the other day. I decided to tackle this small job yesterday and Ive been at it since....... The tube broke clean off at the block leaving me with nothing to grab onto. I tried to use an Easy Out but the tube is absolutely stuck in the block. I finally just threaded a Lag Bolt in but since its at a weird angle, I have hardly any way to pry it out. I have now spent about 8 hours trying everything short of dropping the pan and pushing it out from the inside. My only fear is that it is stuck so bad that even pushing from the inside of the pan won't get it out. Has anyone gone through this as well and come up with a solution???
Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

This can be a tough one because the tube is an interference fit to begin with. Driving or screwing anything into it just makes it tighter. If there is any significant protrusion inside the block, driving it out from the inside probably WILL work, but I don't know if it sticks down inside or not. Unfortunately pulling the pan is probably going to have to be your next step.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by PerryB
This can be a tough one because the tube is an interference fit to begin with. Driving or screwing anything into it just makes it tighter. If there is any significant protrusion inside the block, driving it out from the inside probably WILL work, but I don't know if it sticks down inside or not. Unfortunately pulling the pan is probably going to have to be your next step.
Thank you for the quick reply PerryB,
Looks like the oil pan is coming off. Is there any easy way to do this without removing the front end or lifting the engine? And is the gasket a single use gasket?
Old 10-23-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Among other things, manual says to remove frame crossmember and lower the axle. At least, for my truck. Not sure what yours is.

And yes, you want a new gasket.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

If it were me, I would find a drift as close in diameter as the tube but slightly smaller and drive that piece down into the block, replace the tube and never worry about it again, the oil pump won't be able to pick it up so it's not going any where.

Provided you have enough room to swing a hammer.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
If it were me, I would find a drift as close in diameter as the tube but slightly smaller and drive that piece down into the block, replace the tube and never worry about it again, the oil pump won't be able to pick it up so it's not going any where.

Provided you have enough room to swing a hammer.
Despite my initial post I have to admit, that makes sense and would be a good first course of action. If you succeed in driving it down, it'll simply be a passenger in the pan. Unless you're going zero G (like aerial jumping) it's never going to be a problem.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:02 PM

I like the drift idea but I hate that there would be a chunk of metal in the pan. A buddy of mine suggested using a torch on the casting to expand the metal and help loosen up the tube. Anyone ever tried doing this? The only thing that makes me hesitant is any excess oil in the area catching fire.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:10 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Will and easy out grab it and pull the piece out of the pan?

The easy solution is to do like they suggested. The harder solution is to remove the pan.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BluePony91
I like the drift idea but I hate that there would be a chunk of metal in the pan. A buddy of mine suggested using a torch on the casting to expand the metal and help loosen up the tube. Anyone ever tried doing this? The only thing that makes me hesitant is any excess oil in the area catching fire.
1st of all the only thing it's going to do is sit in the bottom of the oil pan inert. 2nd your friend is an idiot for suggesting doing that to a steel engine block much less the aluminum one in your truck.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
1st of all the only thing it's going to do is sit in the bottom of the oil pan inert. 2nd your friend is an idiot for suggesting doing that to a steel engine block much less the aluminum one in your truck.
The truck is a 2010. I thought it was a cast iron block?

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick Tube STUCK!!!