Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Raptor Running Board finish durability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Default OEM Raptor Running Board finish durability?

I've been looking awhile and was notified by a known Raptor performance shop that they have a set of Raptor (side) running boards for S-Cab body (most advertised on C-L or 'bay are S-Crew). Story is these are 2010 take-offs and not "new looking". Based-on FoMoCo's description, unsure if are anodized aluminum, painted or some other finish? For those having these, how has finish durability held up and what (if anything) have you done to freshen or refinish? I don't mind doing Rustoleum rattle can respray but won't drive prox 200 miles round trip to inspect 'em unless price is cheap and freshening options are practical and likewise inexpensive...

"Rugged single-piece, cast-aluminum running boards with protective coating offer a step up and side protection from kicked-up stones and gravel."
Old 08-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

I put a set on mine recently. I think they are steel as they are way heavier than the aluminum one's that come on ours. The finish seems like a spray on bed liner material (very tough stuff) with very good traction when wet. They are a huge improvement and I can actually use them. Sorry can't attest to how to make them look new again as mine are in perfect shape.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 PM
It's an ID10T error sir!

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

What you can do is depending on the price is what alot of the raptor forum guys do. Have them Linex'd. They'll look like new and have the durability you're looking for.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 PM

Thanks guys, for your comments and suggestions! Red text in 1st post is from FoMoCo part description, thus figured anodized aluminum. Anodize (even Class III/Type 2) doesn't hold up well to abrasion or UV, so that finish wouldn't seem practical for OEM applications.

Buying 'em cheap and having Line-X'd appeals to my budget and durability objectives. Small jobs can be spendy but bundling multiple parts for same coating finish helps amortize minimum charge (if any). Hey, I could have my trail-scarred jeep bumpers and fender flares Line-X'd same time!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 PM
It's an ID10T error sir!

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtDawg
Thanks guys, for your comments and suggestions! Red text in 1st post is from FoMoCo part description, thus figured anodized aluminum. Anodize (even Class III/Type 2) doesn't hold up well to abrasion or UV, so that finish wouldn't seem practical for OEM applications.

Buying 'em cheap and having Line-X'd appeals to my budget and durability objectives. Small jobs can be spendy but bundling multiple parts for same coating finish helps amortize minimum charge (if any). Hey, I could have my trail-scarred jeep bumpers and fender flares Line-X'd same time!
Could always have the fender flares done. Or the bed if it's not already done. Maybe the bumper...**** possibilities are endless haha!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 PM

FX4 has OEM spray-in liner and I like the fender flares as-is. OTOH, my jeep is highly aftermarket equpped (as trail rigs tend to be) incl flares, bumpers, ad nauseam. Jeep (not-so) hardtop was already Line-X'd some years ago due to paint fade, so focus would be on other jeep stuff regularly exposed to trail carnage w/ Raptor step-boards being primary focus. Email sent to seller rep on those 2010 boards, so we'll see...
Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

I guess they are aluminum,did the magnet test on them.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Have had mine for 2 years ...
  • they are cast aluminum.
  • their surface is VERY durable and slip/skid resistant.
  • they're great at protecting the lower, nether regions from stone chips and road debris.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

had my raptor about 20 months. when they get dirty i power wash and foam brush em at the car wash and they look great. and right about the anti-slip. even with rain/snow/mud i dont think ive slipped once getting in and out.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Thanks guys, for chiming in w/ your experience w/ these OEM boards. Aside from better appearance (IMO) than OEM FX4 boards, I like that the Raptor versions mount closer to rocker panels for increased ground clearance plus better traction too as already mentioned...

I sent a message last night on those 2010 take-offs asking for lowest price on "as-is" condition. These aren't currently advertised, so if the price is right - I'll buy 'em!

Quick Reply: OEM Raptor Running Board finish durability?