Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing worse than stolen tools. My attempt at Automatic Folding Mirrors.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs down Nothing worse than stolen tools. My attempt at Automatic Folding Mirrors.

Last night i pulled the door panel and started trying to figure out how to wire the mirrors to fold in when i lock the doors.

After removing the panel I went for my multimeter and it was missing... Turns out someone helped them self to my complete box of electrical tools. soldering irons, about 2500 3m connectors, heat shrink, rheostats, diodes, several hundred LED's, relays, switches, mini torch, crip tools, wire strippers, probably $1500 worth of stuff...

Needless to say i didnt get it finished but has anyone else done this on the f-150?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Sorry to hear that man...all that electrical stuff is expensive as hell.
I couldnt imagine losing all that. Was it at work or something?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Status

Dang that really sucks!!!

I know on the Super Duty, there is a mod to make this happen. I can't imagine there's not a way on our trucks. Just a matter of finding the right wires.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by energie
Wow! Sorry to hear that man...all that electrical stuff is expensive as hell.
I couldnt imagine losing all that. Was it at work or something?
Nope, that the part that makes me the maddest... It was in my boat. My wife had a garage sale a few weeks ago and i cleaned out the carport so she could use the room for the sale. That night a buddy came over so I could wire his radio. When we got finished I went to bed.. The next morning when i got to work the wife called and asked what the big tool box was in the carport. I just told her to put it in the boat (under the cover)... When I got home I noticed the boat cover was off but I checked and made sure my rods were still in there and have not thought twice about it. Until last night when everything started adding up...
Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 AM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Someone at the yard sale scoped out the place and was probably really looking for fishing equipment, sonars, stuff like that I bet.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Can't trust people anymore..sorry to hear that.
And sorry I don't know anything about wiring them in. Wouldnt you need the powerfold modules or whatever the motors are to move them as well
Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Someone at the yard sale scoped out the place and was probably really looking for fishing equipment, sonars, stuff like that I bet.
I agree, its funny how you think it is just a box of junk until you add everything up..

Originally Posted by energie
Wouldnt you need the powerfold modules or whatever the motors are to move them as well
I already have the power folding mirrors i just want to wire them so they fold up when the door is locked.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Ohhhh that makes more sense now. Cool mod. I'll look into it and let you know
Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Link to mirror wiring diagram

Sorry to hear about your tools, that sucks.
Regarding your wiring question, the power fold in wire is pin 7 on the mirror connection. I realize you already have the power fold option but if you reference the write up for adding power fold mirrors you can see the pin numbering and circuit function table. The pins number from bottom right up the right side of the connector (1-8), then bottom left up the left side of the connector (9-16).
Pin 16 is the power fold out pin.
Here is the link for the PDF on the power fold mod. Page 3 had the pinout diagram. I know this link is for a 2005 but the folks at Tasca advised the mirror wiring hasn't changed.
http://home.comcast.net/~myers.brad/...naFordF150.pdf

I have a question though. Wouldn't this mod be cumbersome if you leave the auto lock feature enabled or if you want to lock the doors when traveling? I guess I've become paranoid over the last few years but I always lock my doors when driving nowadays.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Not sure if you'll be able to get around the logic circuit here

After my last post I got to thinking on this a little more. To be honest, I haven't even seen a 2011 F150 yet as I've been in Afghanistan for most of the past 2 years. I have a 2010 Lariat that I'm dying to do mods on when I get home next year. I installed power fold mirrors and the control switch but then found that the dealership was unable to program the SJB (Smart Junction Box) to control the fold function which is why I will be doing the hard wire to a different switch to fold the mirrors.
But, if the 2011 still uses the single pull control switch, (one pull to fold in and the second pull to fold out) you would have to figure out a way to send a pulse to the SJM from the lock mechanism. However, if the mirrors happen to be folded in when you lock the doors I would then assume they will fold out. So, could you get around this by hitting the lock button a second time?
Also, if you're like me do you hit the lock button on your remote more than once to make sure the truck locked (to get the beep). If so, I would think you'd have the mirrors flapping in and out several times before you get the desired stopping position.

Just something to ponder.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Nothing worse than stolen tools. My attempt at Automatic Folding Mirrors.