Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non-HID projector headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default non-HID projector headlights

Does anyone out there know of a good aftermarket non-HID projector headlight? I currently have a 2013 Tuxedo Black STX with factory halogen headlights and would like to have a darker looking headlight. I've seen Spec-D, Spyder, etc, but I don't know if any of them are good. Thanks for any help you can give me
Old 04-11-2015, 09:15 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfen
Does anyone out there know of a good aftermarket non-HID projector headlight? I currently have a 2013 Tuxedo Black STX with factory halogen headlights and would like to have a darker looking headlight. I've seen Spec-D, Spyder, etc, but I don't know if any of them are good. Thanks for any help you can give me
Sorry to say, but none of these brands are really any good from a quality, fitment and light output perspective. And, None offer any more output than stock halogens. You'd just be wasting your money in the long term.

Best bet is to install bake yours open, paint them any way you like, reseal, and install fresh, high quality halogen bulbs.

Or - while you have them open, install an entry-level but quality retrofit hid projector system from TRS. Can be done for well under $300 if you shop carefully.

good luck
MGD
Old 04-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MGD
Sorry to say, but none of these brands are really any good from a quality, fitment and light output perspective. And, None offer any more output than stock halogens. You'd just be wasting your money in the long term.

Best bet is to install bake yours open, paint them any way you like, reseal, and install fresh, high quality halogen bulbs.

Or - while you have them open, install an entry-level but quality retrofit hid projector system from TRS. Can be done for well under $300 if you shop carefully.

good luck
MGD

Thanks. I'm not really looking for more light output, but I don't want to lose any either. I don't like the way the chrome reflector inside the headlight looks. I don't think you can paint that part. Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfen
Thanks. I'm not really looking for more light output, but I don't want to lose any either. I don't like the way the chrome reflector inside the headlight looks. I don't think you can paint that part. Thanks again!
Your're right - you can't paint the reflector itself, but, you can paint the surround to add an overall darker effect. You can even paint the turnsignal area if you install high-brightness LED switchbacks (e.g. V3's)

IMHO - safety should never take a back seat to appearance. And being able to see well in all conditions is kinda crucial in that regard, lol. Please do NOT smoke the lens though - that is a tragic mistake.

You will be degrading performance with those aftermarket faux halogen 'projectors' . They are, universally, junk.

For aboot the same money and your own time, you could do the retrofit and have both the colour you seek ( as you can paint everything as desired, AND spectacularly improve yer ability to see. A win-win, I reckon.

Your decision - yer truck, yer money.

Best of luck
MGD
Old 04-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

I will add that i blacked out my signal buckets when i retrofited my fx-r projectors. A hardly noticeable drop in brightness from the park and signal bulbs. Still see just fine in direct sunlight.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (04-11-2015)

Quick Reply: non-HID projector headlights